[SOLVED] Motherboard stain by VRM ?

Mar 10, 2021
Hi guys,
First time posting so let me know if you need more information or if I am unclear.

I built my Pc(3800x +2070s) in September and haven't had any real issues up until now.

Recently I have noticed a strange discoloration on my motherboard (Gigabyte x570 aorus elite) by the vrm heatsink, I'm unsure as to when the discoloration happened exactly but I am certain the stain wasn't there, or at least wasn't as prominent when i built the Pc.
The pc isn't overclocked and still seems to be working fine. I haven't noticed any drops in performance while gaming and hwinfo seems to be showing stable voltages, with temps reaching about 60c after several hours of gaming.

I hope that its simply oil from the vrm thermal pads and im just overreacting but the area doesn't feel oily. i havent had a chance to remove the heatsink to see if there is any damage to the chips below.

Does anyone have any insights into what it might be? or am i being paranoid?.
Many thanks

Solution
As you noted, it looks like oils leaching out of the thermal pad between the FETs and heatsink. Not that uncommon and nothing to worry about. It never feels oily as the film is way to thin even though the pads themselves always feel, and look, oil soaked. I expect oil to ooze out whenever I squeeze one...it never does.
As you noted, it looks like oils leaching out of the thermal pad between the FETs and heatsink. Not that uncommon and nothing to worry about. It never feels oily as the film is way to thin even though the pads themselves always feel, and look, oil soaked. I expect oil to ooze out whenever I squeeze one...it never does.

Solution