Question Motherboard stopped lighting up after dropping a screw on it while it was running

Jan 5, 2023
Hey guys, I really needed help here. I dropped a case screw onto the motherboard while I was trying to screw in the last screw for gpu, and then the motherboard just shutdown, I didn’t hear loud pop or visible mark and I tried taking the mobo battery out then back in but it still doesn’t work. My hands were a bit sweaty so the screw might be a little bit wet. This is where I dropped the screw. Wondering what should I do now.
21-B1-DCC0-4881-4415-979-A-55152-E87-EF33.jpg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New year, newcomer!

I really needed help here. I dropped a case screw onto the motherboard while I was trying to screw in the last screw for gpu, and then the motherboard just shutdown,
So the system was powered up and running while you were dropping in the discrete GPU? If so, you're advised to power down and disconnect from the wall and display. If not that, you're advised to at least flip the rocker switch on your PSU to the off position.

You could tear down the entire system and see if the motherboard and bare minimum parts show signs of life though I have my doubts as you might've shorted the board = it's dead.

Jan 5, 2023
Hey guys, I really needed help here. I dropped a case screw onto the motherboard while I was trying to screw in the last screw for gpu, and then the motherboard just shutdown, I didn’t hear loud pop or visible mark and I tried taking the mobo battery out then back in but it still doesn’t work. My hands were a bit sweaty so the screw might be a little bit wet. This is where I dropped the screw. Wondering what should I do now.
21-B1-DCC0-4881-4415-979-A-55152-E87-EF33.jpg

I really needed help here. I dropped a case screw onto the motherboard while I was trying to screw in the last screw for gpu, and then the motherboard just shutdown,
So the system was powered up and running while you were dropping in the discrete GPU? If so, you're advised to power down and disconnect from the wall and display. If not that, you're advised to at least flip the rocker switch on your PSU to the off position.

You could tear down the entire system and see if the motherboard and bare minimum parts show signs of life though I have my doubts as you might've shorted the board = it's dead.
It would not damage other parts would it? I already ordered another board to test it out the following day.

Let this be a lesson.
Do not work on hardware with the power connected to the wall.

Unless there was a damaging short, you are probably ok.
Remove the screw(after disconnecting power) and test.
Do nothing until you find and remove the screw.
Gently tip the case to see and hear where it might have gone.
A long magnetic tip screwdriver can retrieve it.

If all else fails, You may have to disassemble to find it.

Reactions: GarrettL