Motherboard successfully posts, functional keyboard, but no VGA output

4riQ

Reputable
May 15, 2015
First time build, I'm attempting to build a server with this hardware:

-Motherboard: Asus H87M-Pro
-CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 (3.4 GHz Quad-Core)
-RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black (HX316C10FBK2/16) x 2 = 32GB
-PSU: Antec Basiq 350w
-SSD: Samsung 805-EVO 120GB (w/ Sedna PCI Express Adapter)
-Video Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce6200 (ENT6200TC 512/TD/256M)

I didn't intend to have a video card, but before the BIOS would not post because it did not detect VGA, so I bought the cheapest, lowest power card I could find. Now the motherboard successfully posts, the fans and lights come on the Num/Caps/Scroll lock keys all appear to function on my keyboard. I can also make the motherboard reboot into BIOS through the keyboard (at least it appears that way from the motherboard beeps).

However, no matter what I try, I cannot see anything on a VGA monitor (I use this monitor all the time with my laptop so I know it's working). Here are the things I've tried to no effect:
-Changing PCI-E slots for the VGA card
-Attempting to boot, starting with just CPU/RAM and adding one component at a time
-Reset motherboard CMOS per the manual, removed and replaced motherboard battery

Here are the possibilities I've narrowed it down to:
-VGA card too old to be compatible with motherboard (if so, is it even possible to find a modern, low-spec card these days?)
-PSU insufficient for power of added VGA card (I could not find a power consumption rating on the VGA card)
-CPU not installed correctly (I was extremely careful about closely following directions when installing it, so this is unlikely)
-Dead components (absolute worst case scenario, but I hope this is unlikely given the successful POST and keyboard functioning)

Anyway, I'm pretty frustrated that I've sunk quite a bit of money into this without a successful boot. If anyone has suggestions of what to try next or what the above might mean, it would be greatly appreciated.

4riQ

Reputable
May 15, 2015
I might be using the terms incorrectly, but the I'm going off of the fact that the POST is successful because I'm not getting any BIOS error beeps. But you're right, I don't know that for sure, it just appears that way from what I can tell. The last 4 digits on the sticker are 0504.

4riQ

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Thanks, I will give that a try

EDIT: Downloaded the most recent BIOS file from ASUS, and did the USB flashback per the motherboard manual, and still nothing.

4riQ

Reputable
May 15, 2015
You mean the power light on the front of the case? It flashed slowly for about 5 minutes then went off completely (as the motherboard manual described).

4riQ

Reputable
May 15, 2015
I tried testing one RAM module in each slot, still no go. My motherboard doesn't accept ECC RAM, so that is also a no go.

Fortunately, I've found a friend who may be able to track down a spare CPU, a much larger PSU and modern GPU to test individual components with, and his suspicion is the cheap VGA card that I bought. I'm thinking that the motherboard may recognize the card (hence no VGA error beeps), but for whatever reason the card is just too old for this motherboard. I'm going to hold off on buying more hardware until I can do this testing.

Obviously, my best choice would have been to get a motherboard with onboard graphics to begin with, given its purpose, and I'm not completely opposed to replacing it as a last resort. Given that the chipset has no graphics, and neither does the CPU, could someone recommend the most basic card, low-power that would work with a modern motherboard in a headless server? From doing a bit of research they seem to be hard to find.