Question motherboard suddenly not powering on

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi! I have an old system for Windows Vista and XP stuff that I don't use regularly.
Yesterday when I wanted to power it on it wouldn't do anything like if the power button was broken. I let it alone for about half an hour and when I came back i found it working just fine without anyone touching it. One thing that i quickly realized is that the RTC was 1 week behind(the date i last used this PC) which doesn't make any sense because the bios battery is new and working. I did turn off the power supply for that week because the keyboard led was annoying tho. There is 5v standby because the mouse sensor lights up and so does the keyboard and the Mobo led.
now it's doing the same thing again except it won't power on even after a day
Two more things I have to mention are that it started to behave very strange some time ago and by that i mean very long post which can mean anywhere between 30 sec and 3 minutes. I did overclock the CPU to 3.7ghz 1.2v but it worked great in cinebench R15 and prime95 and before this it ran at 3.6ghz 1.168v no problems.
The specs:
Asus P5E X38 chipset motherboard lga775
Q9550
8gb DDR2 crappy ram.
600w power supply 80+silver
gtx 770 gainward
Tested every component in another system(besides the Mobo and ram) and they work fine

Any ideas?

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model is that 600w PSU?

How old? Condition: original to build, new, refurbished, used?

As a matter of elimination, I would try another CMOS battery - the newly installed battery may be defective in some manner.

Double check where the system is getting its' time and date.

"WIN" + "I" > Time & Language > Date & Time [Not sure about the direct path using Vista or XP.]

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
What make and model is that 600w PSU?
njoy legion 600w 80+ silver
also tested with evga 600b 80+ bronze
both are in great condition, the first one ran my main system for 3 years and could supply an i7 950 (130w) and a gtx 770 (250w) just fine (tested after this mobo broke) and the second one runs on my main system every day

the motherboard was bought second hand but when I bought it worked perfectly, no long post or anything and the bios battery was changed when I got it and still provides the necessary voltage according to my multimeter
i can't get to windows or any os if the Mobo doesn't even turn on

Ralston18

Titan
Does the motherboard have a speaker? Do you hear any beeps at all? Maybe some pattern of long and short beeps?

Are you able to get into BIOS and check the settings at all? Or just sometimes? If so, change the POST to verbose so you can watch what is going on during the POST process.
What is being done and the results thereof. May not be worded as "Verbose" per se and the POST process will take longer.

Will the system consistently boot into safe mode?

Question regarding "provides the necessary voltage according to my multimeter "

What did you test and what procedure did you use?

For example:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. Things do come loose over time due to heat related expansion/contraction and vibrations. (Noted that you tested components in other systems but not harm in double checking that all are properly re-installed.)

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browning or blackening anywhere, pinched or kinked wires, swollen components, loose or missing screws, cracks, anything bent out of shape or place. Scratches, signs of liquid anywhere.

Look very carefully at the wires going into the connectors. All should be well inside and not loose or wiggly.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
What did you test and what procedure did you use?
? are there multiple ways of checking a voltage of a cr2032 battery? i even tried multiple batteries the motherboard still won't POWER ON let alone get to the bios
i can't understand how it broke by just sitting unpowered for a week
one thing that i noticed is that only sometimes there is some voltage going to the front panel pins that are responsible for power on (my screwdriver has an led that lights up) but even then it still doesn't work
my guess is that the PCB bent so hard because of heat that the traces broke (kinda weird tho, my room isn't that hot and I had 5 fans in the case)
i currently have only the CPU installed, nothing more and its been reseated 2 times already

Ralston18

Titan
I was thinking in terms of testing the PSU voltages. Not the CMOS battery.

To check the CMOS battery:

https://poweringautos.com/how-to-check-cmos-battery/

Overview of CMOS battery:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-cmos-2625826

The screwdriver that you used: does it have a battery or is the screwdriver just a continuity tester. In other words the screwdriver's LED just lights up when connected between a source of voltage and a ground/earth of some sort? Did you use that screwdriver in an attempt to clear CMOS?

I recommend clearing the settings and starting over. Get the system working and stable being the first objective.

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to properly clear CMOS - likely requires a jumper to short across two pins.

Perhaps this manual - do verify that I found the the applicable manual.

https://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/P5E-WS-PROFESSIONAL/Manual/263528?page=3#manual

Refer to Page 2-22 as to how to properly clear CMOS.

If that does not work then check the motherboard and all components and configurations by readind through the User Manual and confirming that everything is correctly configured.

Could simple be some forgotten error of omission or commission.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-cmos-2625826

The screwdriver that you used: does it have a battery or is the screwdriver just a continuity tester. In other words the screwdriver's LED just lights up when connected between a source of voltage and a ground/earth of some sort? Did you use that screwdriver in an attempt to clear CMOS?
honestly I have no idea, i see something inside it but it's not 100% transparent . i think it does have a battery. it light up even if it was touching only the ground pin
one more thing that i noticed was that some mosfets on the motherboard report voltages even if the system is not on but only sometimes and its linked to the front panel pins because if those don't make the screwdriver light up neither do those mosfets

the bios was cleared multiple times

Ralston18

Titan
"one more thing that i noticed was that some mosfets on the motherboard report voltages "

And that is based on the screwdrivers's LED lighting up?

Make and model screwdriver?

Does the screwdriver have a metal point and a wire with some sort of a toothed clip on it?

Get a metal paper clip. Clip the screwdriver's tooth clip on one end of the paper clip.

Touch the other end of the paper clip with the metal point of the screw driver. Does the LED light up?

If so, that means the screw driver has a battery.

The reason I am asking is that depending on what all was done or tested, that motherboard components may have been shorted out or otherwise damaged in some manner.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
big update: the motherboard started working out of nowhere, after more than 1 week of periodically trying the same thing as today, i mean pushing the power button a million times
it got to the bios a few times (didn't have storage connected so no os) but after I dismounted the cpu cooler and reinstalling it back now it's not posting. it does power up but no post(or at least I think that's the case because the cpu got quite toasty because no thermal paste was applied so I had to shut it down quick), it may be long posting again, what do you think? my best guess now is a bad bios chip?