CRH7386

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I have an older motherboard that is AGP with a FX 5950 Ultra so I want to get a new one that is good and would support 2 EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB video cards to run in SLI. I know it needs to be PCI express but I'm not sure what would be the best choice. Any suggestions? Price is not a big deal, as long as its not extremely expensive. Thanks in advance.

I have an older motherboard that is AGP with a FX 5950 Ultra so I want to get a new one that is good and would support 2 EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB video cards to run in SLI. I know it needs to be PCI express but I'm not sure what would be the best choice. Any suggestions? Price is not a big deal, as long as its not extremely expensive. Thanks in advance.

You would need an Nvidia chipset motherboard that supported SLI. The 680i chipset is one of the best performers in that line. Try a search for Nvidia 680i motherboards and see what you come up with. There are also many other 600 and 500 series boards that support SLI. You were not very specific.

CRH7386

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Thanks. Sorry I wasn't very specific. I am just looking for something that is newer that has very good performace. I will probably order it from newegg. I was looking at their reviews and most have good and bad reviews so it's kind of discouraging when I see bad reviews because I don't wanna end up buying something I'm gonna regret. I figured that a 680i board would be best but I was just looking for some suggestions before I actually spend the money for one. Thanks for the help and anymore that anyone could give me.

CRH7386

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Would 2 8800 GTS 320MB cards be a bad choice? I've read that they have almost similiar performance to the 640MB versions and theres no way I could afford a 8800 GTX so I figured that would be a good choice and last a descent amount of time.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
most have good and bad reviews

When the 680i chipset was released there were many problems with the boards, over the last several months most of those issues have been fixed through board or BIOS revisions. I have the Asus P5N32-E SLI and it's a great board. Many people here will suggest the EVGA 680i or maybe the Striker Extreme all are good depending upon your needs. Another option you might want to consider is the ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus which is a 650i motherboard with 2 16x Pci-e slots.

Rather than 2 GTS you might want to consider 1 GTX and then a year or two from now when it is starting to show it's age add another one.