Motherboard supports only 1600mhz RAM, but in M.I.T. i can set frequency to 1800

aincicau

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hi, I recently bought 8gb of ram (1866mhz) and my motherboard supports up to 1600 mhz. But in BIOS at Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker i can set memory frequency to 18xx by a multiplier. Is there any problem in doing that? If not, what would be the actual frequency of my memory?

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
MB: GIGABYTE GA770T-D3L (rev 3.1)
GPU: GIGABYTE R7 360
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FK2/8
2x4gb 1866mhz

Solution
The motherboard will automatically downclock the RAM to the fastest speed that both it and the CPU supports. Overclocking I don't think will help, the processor can't utilize RAM when its going that fast and it will just clock down when the PC boots. I wouldn't worry about it, faster RAM isn't going to give you a big performance boost if you are on Athlon 2.

jr9

Estimable
The motherboard will automatically downclock the RAM to the fastest speed that both it and the CPU supports. Overclocking I don't think will help, the processor can't utilize RAM when its going that fast and it will just clock down when the PC boots. I wouldn't worry about it, faster RAM isn't going to give you a big performance boost if you are on Athlon 2.

Solution