[SOLVED] Motherboard takes hours to power on.

Nov 8, 2020
I use a UPS, so every night I cut off power from the computer, about 3 months since I got the motherboard, it has refused to power on, I don't mean boot, once it powers on, it behaves as it should.

I know it's getting power because the motherboard has a light strip and it flashes when it first receives power, I also tested the power supply on another PC and it was fine.

Leaving it connected and getting power all through the night doesn't help, I have tried leaving it connected to the electricity when it's not on, but it makes it worse, because then I have to cut off power, and wait again several hours before it feels like working.

I know it's not the battery because I've replaced it and it hasn't made any difference, it's actually been better for me to leave it without battery, because lately it started taking even longer to power on, I moved the battery and it worked after 8 or so hours of first being plugged to a running UPS, in fact, even changing time on the bios behaved strangely, changing any value would take several seconds before registering, and at times it would instead reboot when I tried to change the time, besides that powering off took several seconds as opposed to instantly like it usually was. Without a battery it doesn't exhibit those problems.

I have tested it with nothing but CPU and RAM, and it's the same, so I'm almost certain it's the motherboard. Questions is, can it be remedied? I'm really not in the condition to buy another motherboard all that easily (having it replaced for free due to the warranty is not an option).

The motherboard is a gigabyte aorus B450M, CPU is a ryzen 2600, PSU is a seasonic s12III-450

Solution
Here is a short "tutorial" about surge protection.

https://blog.tripplite.com/what-are-surge-protector-joules-and-how-many-do-i-need

(Note: Not endorsing or promoting forTripp Lite or any other manufacturer. You can easily find other similar links with definitions and explanations.

For example:

https://austere.com/blogs/life-style/not-all-power-is-created-equal

Read the links and then consider your "electrical environment" and history.

The UPS may be damaged in some manner or otherwise may not have survived.

You may need to reconsider your protections and possibly get a new UPS.

Ralston18

Titan
Some questions:

1) Make and model UPS? Age, condition?

2) Do you have lots of power problem of any sort in your area?

3) How do you go about shutting down the computer - do you right click the Windows icon (usually found in the lower left screen corner) and select shutdown from the menu?

4) You are connecting Wall outlet ===> UPS ===> Computer and peripherals (monitor). No surge protectors or power strips etc. connected in - correct?

5) If the computer is plugged directly into a wall outlet does the computer work properly?

6) Changing time in BIOS - have you tried a new CMOS battery?

Nov 8, 2020
Some questions:

1) Make and model UPS? Age, condition?

2) Do you have lots of power problem of any sort in your area?

3) How do you go about shutting down the computer - do you right click the Windows icon (usually found in the lower left screen corner) and select shutdown from the menu?

4) You are connecting Wall outlet ===> UPS ===> Computer and peripherals (monitor). No surge protectors or power strips etc. connected in - correct?

5) If the computer is plugged directly into a wall outlet does the computer work properly?

6) Changing time in BIOS - have you tried a new CMOS battery?

Hello.

1)APC Back-UPS 800, the same age as the motherboard, RAM, CPU, etc. I bought all the parts and I didn't start using the computer until everything was bought. The UPS and motherboard were the last parts I acquired.

2)Yes, a lot, extremely a lot. Literally 2 or 3 brown outs a day, and every few days a black out for several hours. But the computer has never been powered on without the UPS or a surge protector, I've only powered it on while on a surge protector and not UPS because of this problem, I leave it connected until it decides to actually power on, but I usually turn it off and them connect it to the UPS. I don't recall any occassion in which a brown out occurred while it was connected to the surge protector and not UPS, on the other hand when it started happening it had never been powered on while on a surge protector, only the UPS.

3)Yes, I power down the way you're supposed to, I usually actually press Ctrl+F4 and select shut down. Lately until I removed the CMOS battery it had started taking several seconds before final step of actually being completely powered off.

4)The instructions said to not connect the UPS to a surge protector, I complied, although reluctantly, but I have never connected the UPS to a surge protector, it's directly to the wall. Only the monitor and computer are connected to the UPS, speakers, router and such are connected to a surge protector, also APC branded.

5)No, it makes no difference.

6)I tried a new battery several months ago when the problem first started, and it didn't make any difference, so I went back to its original battery, but the slow reaction to changing minutes only started happening recently, I have had better results simply removing the battery and changing the time and date every day. I'm thinking the battery may be low on charge, which makes things worse, even though it's not even a year old, but I haven't confirmed it being low on charge.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is #2 above.

Surge protection is cumulative. Meaning it can can handle a number of small hits or just one single hit as long as the total value does not exceed some joules rating/listing.

Once beyond that rating - no protection. Which, unfortunately means the protected system is not longer protected and damage occurs.

Take a closer look at the UPS specs and documentation. Any caveats?

Nov 8, 2020
My thought is #2 above.

Surge protection is cumulative. Meaning it can can handle a number of small hits or just one single hit as long as the total value does not exceed some joules rating/listing.

Once beyond that rating - no protection. Which, unfortunately means the protected system is not longer protected and damage occurs.

Take a closer look at the UPS specs and documentation. Any caveats?
The website states this.

Surge Protection and Filtering
Surge energy rating
273Joules

https://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/prod...0V-AVR-Universal-and-IEC-Sockets/P-BX800LI-MS

It has a fuse, I actually thought the surge protection came from that, I guess not?

Ralston18

Titan
Here is a short "tutorial" about surge protection.

https://blog.tripplite.com/what-are-surge-protector-joules-and-how-many-do-i-need

(Note: Not endorsing or promoting forTripp Lite or any other manufacturer. You can easily find other similar links with definitions and explanations.

For example:

https://austere.com/blogs/life-style/not-all-power-is-created-equal

Read the links and then consider your "electrical environment" and history.

The UPS may be damaged in some manner or otherwise may not have survived.

You may need to reconsider your protections and possibly get a new UPS.

Solution