[SOLVED] Motherboard - Temp Sensor Headers

Dec 8, 2021
Been out of the scene for a very long time. Just now getting back into gaming and going to start getting into overclocking.

1 - What are motherboards that come equipped with temperature sensor headers used for and how important is it to have one?

2 - Do motherboard temperature sensor headers have to install software to operate or it runs directly via bios?

3 - Motherboards with temperature sensor header VS a third party add on temp sensor. Which is better and what are the differences?

Solution
Correct. I heard if you want to adjust fan curve from the coolant temperatures you will need a t_sensor.

What I want to know is how much of a difference is there between a motherboard that comes with temperature sensor header vs. buying a third party temp sensor card? Is there any difference what so ever?

Asking because I’m not sure which is better: if I should get a motherboard that comes with t_sensors? Or I can get a board that doesn’t have one and add it on later.
A T-sensor posts just connect external sensor,are not a sensor in itself.. Thru them BIOS reads whatever that sensor tells it and SW can read it from BIOS. In my MB for instance,BIOS can use that temperature reading to adjust any chassis fan. I have seen some...

kanewolf

Titan
Been out of the scene for a very long time. Just now getting back into gaming and going to start getting into overclocking.

1 - What are motherboards that come equipped with temperature sensor headers used for and how important is it to have one?

2 - Do motherboard temperature sensor headers have to install software to operate or it runs directly via bios?

3 - Motherboards with temperature sensor header VS a third party add on temp sensor. Which is better and what are the differences?
I don't know of any desktop motherboards with headers for ambient temperature sensors. Those functions are all built-into the chips today. CPU, voltage regulators, etc have built-in temp sensors.

Dec 8, 2021
Om my previous Asus Prime x370 pro and my present x470 pro ther are headers to connect a temperature probe (10KOhm thermistor), place it anywhere and use that temperature by BIOS to control chassis fans.

Correct. I heard if you want to adjust fan curve from the coolant temperatures you will need a t_sensor.

What I want to know is how much of a difference is there between a motherboard that comes with temperature sensor header vs. buying a third party temp sensor card? Is there any difference what so ever?

Asking because I’m not sure which is better: if I should get a motherboard that comes with t_sensors? Or I can get a board that doesn’t have one and add it on later.

A T-sensor posts just connect external sensor,are not a sensor in itself.. Thru them BIOS reads whatever that sensor tells it and SW can read it from BIOS. In my MB for instance,BIOS can use that temperature reading to adjust any chassis fan. I have seen some using it to read temps behind VRM where it can get just as hot as at top or as you said for coolant temps if it doesn't have one built in. Other critical spots can be on the back of GPU and back of 24pin.
Only other boards with T-sensor i have seen are fan adjusting addons.
Accuracy is that of sensor itself, usually +/-10c.

Solution