Motherboard temperature discrepancy

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
3 different HW monitors read my mobo at a min 119c to 120c but my processor is at 25c, i have great air flow and the whole tower is clean as a whistle...my bios temperature reads much lower, in the 35c range...most likely i have a bad sensor? or is my bios the one thats wrong...my "hand test" dosnt feel any sort of extreme temps, things are running fine...i do have a fx-6200 overclocked to 4.4ghz but that doesn't seem to create a lot of heat. any thoughts?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Motherboard?

What software are you using?

an FX-6200 does NOT properly show temps through anything but AMD Overdrive, and even there it shows Thermal Margin. Basically the difference between the processor's current and its max temp. So for example 50c is good, 5c is bad. The FX processors do not have a core temp sensor, so there is no way to get a normal temp for them.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
the motherboard is a cheap asrock hd 760GM-HD that i bought just to test the fx processor i didnt think i ordered but apparently did lol...i mean nuts to bolts i have about $65 or $70 into the two pieces so no big deal. ill beat on it and if i kill it who cares? but the 3 monitors reading the 120c are open hardware monitor ( im a fan of this one, fan control and has a widget type thing you can set up and watch what you want) cpuz hw monitor ( similar set up less options) and speccy....in the bios it reads cooler then the processor tho. my processor never gets over 65ish and thats only under stress test or extreme load for a while. i find it hard to believe my board is twice as hot but running fine

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
ps- i tried to post some pics of it but couldnt figure it out? wants a url location not just a phone pic

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
the motherboard is a cheap asrock hd 760GM-HD that i bought just to test the fx processor i didnt think i ordered but apparently did lol...i mean nuts to bolts i have about $65 or $70 into the two pieces so no big deal. ill beat on it and if i kill it who cares? but the 3 monitors reading the 120c are open hardware monitor ( im a fan of this one, fan control and has a widget type thing you can set up and watch what you want) cpuz hw monitor ( similar set up less options) and speccy....in the bios it reads cooler then the processor tho. my processor never gets over 65ish and thats only under stress test or extreme load for a while. i find it hard to believe my board is twice as hot but running fine

None of those give you the correct CPU temps. Take whatever number you see and throw it out. The number in the BIOS is also worthless. AMD Overdrive thermal margin is the ONLY measure for an FX processor.

The FX-6200 is a 125w processor, that junk low end board you have can realistically only handle a 95w processor. This system will never be stable at full power, ever. Your motherboard is likely actually overheating, and the CPU may be overheating, you really need to use Overdrive to confirm what the thermal margin is under load.

ps- i tried to post some pics of it but couldnt figure it out? wants a url location not just a phone pic

You can't post pics here, you need to upload them to somewhere like imgur.com and then put the url of the pic in to have it post.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
None of those give you the correct CPU temps. Take whatever number you see and throw it out. The number in the BIOS is also worthless. AMD Overdrive thermal margin is the ONLY measure for an FX processor.

The FX-6200 is a 125w processor, that junk low end board you have can realistically only handle a 95w processor. This system will never be stable at full power, ever. Your motherboard is likely actually overheating, and the CPU may be overheating, you really need to use Overdrive to confirm what the thermal margin is under load.

You can't post pics here, you need to upload them to somewhere like imgur.com and then put the url of the pic in to have it post.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
wow rogue leader, just call me porkin's cause i crashed and burned on that set up. probably the best to the point answer i have ever received on here and i appreciate it. i was running a smaller nvidia card and PSU to compare the AMD software and GeForce Experience. honestly the little Nvidia 660 has some kick to it for a 2gb....but I will drop my AMD card back in and check the readings on overdrive and all that. Thanks again.
*Side note, i actually like the fx processor and don't understand why it received some of the reviews it did. I have an ASUS board picked out and think I'll keep it as a back up. working on a newer ryzen build, hopefully last build for a while cuase im over it, but ill have about 700$ or 800$ budget soon and gaming is a secondary concern to 3d rendering for work...still wouldn't mind being able to play a open world type game when i feel like it tho...im a fan of Asus motherboards and AMD processors, rest open to suggestions.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
wow rogue leader, just call me porkin's cause i crashed and burned on that set up. probably the best to the point answer i have ever received on here and i appreciate it. i was running a smaller nvidia card and PSU to compare the AMD software and GeForce Experience. honestly the little Nvidia 660 has some kick to it for a 2gb....but I will drop my AMD card back in and check the readings on overdrive and all that. Thanks again.
*Side note, i actually like the fx processor and don't understand why it received some of the reviews it did. I have an ASUS board picked out and think I'll keep it as a back up. working on a newer ryzen build, hopefully last build for a while cuase im over it, but ill have about 700$ or 800$ budget soon and gaming is a secondary concern to 3d rendering for work...still wouldn't mind being able to play a open world type game when i feel like it tho...im a fan of Asus motherboards and AMD processors, rest open to suggestions.

I have multiple Ryzen processors and usually use ASUS boards though they pissed me off jerking me around warrantying my Crosshair VI last year. Ryzen is on another planet compared to FX. The problem with FX processors is they were beaten by the equivalent intel in almost every measure, they are worse for gaming, they had inherent design flaws that were exacerbated by the motherboard manufacturers selling cheap junk motherboards and claiming they will work with all FX processors. As you can see in your case they do not.

Reactions: Tomme D3