[SOLVED] Motherboard temperature question

Apr 2, 2020
Recently I downloaded a monitoring software (CPUID HWMonitor), and I noticed that the TMPIN0 sensor on my motherboard is consistently reading higher than the other two (TMPIN1 and TMPIN2). While gaming, it maxs around 63 C while the other two only go to 82 C and 104 C. I took the front panel off of my case to see if it would help, but it does not always cause a difference. Does anyone know what could cause these large differences? Could it be an air flow issue?

My system consists of an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu with an AMD Radeon RX 580 8gb gpu, 16 GB of ram, and an ASUS TUF X-470 plus gaming am4 ATX motherboard in a phanteks p418a case. I have two front fans and fans in front and behind of an AIO cooler.

Solution
acap12,

The monitoring utility you're using, Hardware Monitor (HWMonitor), is not known for accuracy and is not updated very frequently. Hardware Info (HWiNFO) is the preferred monitoring utility. It is frequently updated and is trusted for accuracy by system builders, reviewers and expert overclockers.

Also, as my esteemed colleague, Barty1884, has pointed out, Hardware Monitor, as well as many other monitoring utilities, will misreport, mislabel or "offset" values for certain parameters, which can be highly confusing and misleading. Hardware Info is instead more detailed and will very likely correctly label the sensors in question, for which Hardware Monitor has assigned ambiguous, undefined...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
acap12,

The monitoring utility you're using, Hardware Monitor (HWMonitor), is not known for accuracy and is not updated very frequently. Hardware Info (HWiNFO) is the preferred monitoring utility. It is frequently updated and is trusted for accuracy by system builders, reviewers and expert overclockers.

Also, as my esteemed colleague, Barty1884, has pointed out, Hardware Monitor, as well as many other monitoring utilities, will misreport, mislabel or "offset" values for certain parameters, which can be highly confusing and misleading. Hardware Info is instead more detailed and will very likely correctly label the sensors in question, for which Hardware Monitor has assigned ambiguous, undefined labels.

Download and run Hardware Info. Click on "Sensors Only". HWiNFO will provide you with comprehensive results.

CT :sol:

Solution
Apr 2, 2020
acap12,

Also, as my esteemed colleague, Barty1884, has pointed out, Hardware Monitor, as well as many other monitoring utilities, will misreport, mislabel or "offset" values for certain parameters, which can be highly confusing and misleading. Hardware Info is instead more detailed and will very likely correctly label the sensors in question, for which Hardware Monitor has assigned ambiguous, undefined labels.

Download and run Hardware Info. Click on "Sensors Only". HWiNFO will provide you with comprehensive results.

CT :sol:
Thanks for the response, I downloaded HWiNFO and opened the sensors only window. After testing it looks like the motherboard CPU sensor is showing the same values as TMPIN0 did on HWmonitor. Because I am using an AIO, could it be that the motherboard sensor is not registering the cooling, and increasing fan speed to compensate? If this is the case, is there a program that can be used to set which temperature values the fan curves are based off of? I tried using the armoury crate application which is said to have such a function, however when trying to use the program I seem to lack the tab that is used to do this.

Apr 2, 2020
Depends where the sensor is, and software is notorious for getting things like motherboard temps inaccurate.

Provided you have airflow through the case and across the board, you've nothing to worry about here.
Thanks for your response as well. AFAIK, the temps are all within the safe operating range, it is more of a experience issue as the fan noise drowns out the sound of whatever game I may be playing.