[SOLVED] Motherboard testing

Jul 3, 2020
So I recently tried changing my fans to rgb headers because they weren’t lighting up. In doing so one of my fans caught fire. A tiny one but I now have to replace it. I want to test my motherboard and fans to make sure they are alright. I want to do it without having to connect anything besides my fans and power supply to my motherboard. How do I do this, is it okay to do this?

Solution
Okay so just to verify! Using only my psu and motherboard to test my case fans is alright? or... XD
Like I already said, the motherboard will not send power to any component without a CPU, CPU cooler and RAM installed. Well technically you don't need to install the CPU cooler - you just need to plug a fan into the CPU_FAN header, but for the safety and longevity of the CPU it's always recommended to have a CPU cooler installed as well. Without these basic components installed, the motherboard will not power up.
So I recently tried changing my fans to rgb headers because they weren’t lighting up. In doing so one of my fans caught fire. A tiny one but I now have to replace it. I want to test my motherboard and fans to make sure they are alright. I want to do it without having to connect anything besides my fans and power supply to my motherboard. How do I do this, is it okay to do this?
You need to connect the following parts:

Motherboard, with the CPU installed, CPU cooler installed, and one stick of RAM. Connect the motherboard power (24 pin) and CPU power(4 pin or 8 pin) from the power supply. If your CPU has no integrated graphics, you also need to install a GPU and plug in the additional power connector to the GPU from the PSU(if the GPU has an additional power connector slot). To turn on your system, connect(with a screwdriver) the two pins in the front panel connectors that are labelled as power switch. This simulates pressing the power button on your case, but without having to connect the front panel cables from the case.

Jul 3, 2020
You need to connect the following parts:

Motherboard, with the CPU installed, CPU cooler installed, and one stick of RAM. Connect the motherboard power (24 pin) and CPU power(4 pin or 8 pin) from the power supply. If your CPU has no integrated graphics, you also need to install a GPU and plug in the additional power connector to the GPU from the PSU(if the GPU has an additional power connector slot). To turn on your system, connect(with a screwdriver) the two pins in the front panel connectors that are labelled as power switch. This simulates pressing the power button on your case, but without having to connect the front panel cables from the case.
So there isn’t a way I can check with just my power supply and fans? All I want I want to check is to see if my motherboard is alright and if my fan headers work...

So there isn’t a way I can check with just my power supply and fans? All I want I want to check is to see if my motherboard is alright and if my fan headers work...
You need at least the parts I mentioned to get the motherboard to power up, as far as I know. I think you can also jumpstart the PSU through the paperclip method, but that will only turn on those fans that are connected directly to the PSU, not the ones connected to the motherboard headers.

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Without connecting cpu the system won't post as cpu runs the bios but u can try without anything installed and I will get code 00 or something else but it might briefly turn the fans on for a fraction of a second and turn off and u will probably have to do it several times or record video so everything connected is on and working. If u want to test just fans or the 12v rgb strip u have to connect molex clip with required connector to fan and strip and turn on PSU with paperclip to test but without cpu installed nothing will happen past a fraction of a second.

Okay so just to verify! Using only my psu and motherboard to test my case fans is alright? or... XD
Like I already said, the motherboard will not send power to any component without a CPU, CPU cooler and RAM installed. Well technically you don't need to install the CPU cooler - you just need to plug a fan into the CPU_FAN header, but for the safety and longevity of the CPU it's always recommended to have a CPU cooler installed as well. Without these basic components installed, the motherboard will not power up.

Solution