Question Motherboard too bad for Headset-Microphone?

May 15, 2019
Hi people,

so the other day I built my new pc and so far I am pretty satisfied performance-wise.
But a huge issue remains in form of my headset.

Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU-cooler: Brocken 3 Black Edition
GPU: Vega 64 Nitro+
PSU: be quiet! Straigt Power 11 750W
RAM: 16GB Ripjaws V, 3200Mhz, Cl16 Dual Channel
3x 200mm RGB fans (MF200RGB) + 1 36cm LED stripe
Windows 10 Pro

The headphone works perfectly, my issue is the microphone:
It is extremely (!) quiet and somewhat noisy. In addition, my voice/the recording is always cut off, as if there is some sort of built in voice recognizer, working only above a certain volume level (tested with audacity).

After setting up my pc, I installed the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (6.0.1.8619) from the MSI website and that's it. It doesn't matter how I connect the headset, but I prefer to use the split cables for audio and mic. I also tested some settings in the windows sound options (max mic volume isn't set to 100, the amplification setting tested from 10-30 dB). On 30 dB amplification I can actually record something, but it is still very quiet and the quality is shit (+ cut offs). At 10 dB or lower I pracitcally can't record anything. I connected it directly to the motherboard, and also tried connecting it to the headphone/mic ports on the case. It's the same.
Basically, I have the same issues on my old notebook.
The headset was also tested on a friends pc with an ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F and everything works perfectly. No cut-offs, no noise, normal volume, as it should be. Connected directly to the motherboard. I also tried another microphone on my pc and everything was perfectly fine, but it was an USB-mic, if that makes a difference.

-Maybe there is a lack of power because of 3.5mm audio jack connection? (unlikely i guess)

-Is the onboard sound card of my motherboard shit? --> I mean, I should be able to properly use a headset on a 140$ mainboard anyways, plus it worked on
the asus board.

-Is it a software/driver issue? (unlikely? clean install, newest drivers etc.)

-Maybe broken mic-jacks? (unlikely, because case and motherboard ports would be broken?)

Basically, I can't use my microphone right now and it's a shame. As for getting an external soundcard or something similar, is there another way? I am hesitent to buy something on top, only for being able to use the headset which should have worked properly in the first place. I chose an X470 chip so I don't have any issues and it is still not working.

I am very thankful, if anybody knows how to fix this. Googling the issue, I always found the same approaches, and nothing worked so far.
So yeah, huge thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Edit: I also hear a lot of PC-internal sounds when using the headset: For example, when booting I hear electronical whirring and clicking (not very loud tho) and I can also hear coil-whining of my keyboard when set to certain colors (normally you only hear it slightly without headset, but with the headset it is pretty loud). Don't know if that is normal.

Last edited: