Motherboard turns on only for a split second (Help Please)

jhkyan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
I'm having and issue that is driving me crazy. I'm gonna try and explain in detail much as I can.

Right now I just have the motherboard, cpu, memory and psu connected outside the case (breadboarded)

Upon pressing the power button everything turns on for a split second then shuts down, even the cpu heatsink and fan.

BUT when I disconnect the 4-pin CPU cable right next to the CPU it turns on but the Motherboard never makes a beeping sound. Even when I connect to the display the monitor never comes on.

I'm assuming that I need to have the CPU cable (4-pin) connected for sure. Why would everything turn on (and not work) when I disconnect it though?

My CPU was usually overheating and shutting down but I never had this trouble and computer was working fine. All of this happened after a power outage in my area.

Could it be the motherboard is damaged?
Or CPU?
Or what could it be from?

I would appreciate and thoughts, ideas and help I can get. Thank you!

Specs:
Motherboard: Rampage Gene ll
CPU: Intel i-7 920 LGA1366
Power Supply: 650 Corsair TX
Memory: 2gig Gskill DDR3

jhkyan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Thank you Alexoiu. I'm expecting the worst case scenario at this point like replacing the mobo and cpu. But is there anyway to check for the short or test where its coming from?

When this happens to me, I check the RAM is the correct type and reseat it. It works sometimes.

When you disconnect the four-pin 12 Volt plug, nothing will happen until the CPU is powered adequately. I hope you didn't plug that in after the board started running.

You're welcome. You've already tested, by disconnecting the CPU power cable. What you can try is clearing the CMOS, if you haven't so far, but i doubt that it will solve the issue.
Edit: maybe different power supply, if possible...

jhkyan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Yes you're right. I did test it without the CPU cable, more precisely the connection on the Mobo ,marked (4 x 4-pin EATX12V) which I had connected only the 4-pins this whole time, throughout the years. Soon as I disconnect that cable Mobo powers on and fans spin but still no beeps.

I tried another working power supply and it did the same exact thing. Also I cannot figure out how to reset the CMOS on this motherboard, which is a great idea. I'll take whatever suggestions you may have.

jhkyan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Gotcha. I pressed it. It's green now it blinked for a second, guessing it cleared it but still no changes.