Question Motherboard turns on then immediately turns off, how to fix it?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Hi I have this build:
Asus x99-pro/usb3
8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram
Gtx 650
Xeon E5-2637v3
Cx500m
256gb hynix m.2 ssd

But when I turn it on the leds turns on for a split second and then turn off immediately. And this process keeps repeating itself, there are no beeps.
I have already reset cmos, tested the powersupply and the gpu. Im lost, what do I do??

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
How did you test the PSU? Paperclip test?

Same question as above. How?

Current culprits: CPU, MoBo, RAM, PSU.
The psu and gpu came out of a working build so the chance of it being faulty would be zero.
I dont know if this caused it, but when I removed the cpu I saw a few pins looking weird. They arent bent or anything but it appears theres some corrosion or thermal paste, im not quite sure what it is. Maybe dust

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I dont know if this caused it, but when I removed the cpu I saw a few pins looking weird. They arent bent or anything but it appears theres some corrosion or thermal paste

If what you saw is corrosion inside CPU socket - MoBo is toast.
Also, thermal paste being there is quite bad.

With this, i'd say that your MoBo is the issue. And without 2nd, known to work and compatible MoBo, there's 0 you can do to validate it.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Couldnt this also be a ram problem? My ram led doesnt turn on like the other leds do, isnt it supposed to light up to indicate the ram is functioning/seated right?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Couldnt this also be a ram problem?

You've already seen damage in the worst place, inside the CPU socket. So, chances that MoBo is culprit, are high. Especially since X99 chipset is old and those old MoBos do die quite often.

My ram led doesnt turn on like the other leds do, isnt it supposed to light up to indicate the ram is functioning/seated right?

Just because RAM LED doesn't light up, doesn't instantly mean that the RAM is bad. What it does mean, is that MoBo is unable to access the RAM. Issue could be with RAM or MoBo.

For example, if you were to over tighten CPU cooler and it puts too much pressure on CPU, one of the things that could happen, is that MoBo can't access the RAM, since the pins that communicate with RAM within CPU socket are smushed. Then, you may see that the RAM LED does/doesn't light up, indicating RAM issue. While in fact, RAM isn't bad, instead the issue is too much pressure on CPU.

in the end, you can try with 2nd set of DDR4 RAM, to see if it helps, but i doubt it. And the fact is: unless you have another, working X99 chipset MoBo, you can not rule out MoBo issue.

The psu and gpu came out of a working build so the chance of it being faulty would be zero.

ESD during PSU/GPU transfer and parts are toast. So, there is a higher chance than 0 of them being the issue.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
You've already seen damage in the worst place, inside the CPU socket. So, chances that MoBo is culprit, are high. Especially since X99 chipset is old and those old MoBos do die quite often.

Just because RAM LED doesn't light up, doesn't instantly mean that the RAM is bad. What it does mean, is that MoBo is unable to access the RAM. Issue could be with RAM or MoBo.

For example, if you were to over tighten CPU cooler and it puts too much pressure on CPU, one of the things that could happen, is that MoBo can't access the RAM, since the pins that communicate with RAM within CPU socket are smushed. Then, you may see that the RAM LED does/doesn't light up, indicating RAM issue. While in fact, RAM isn't bad, instead the issue is too much pressure on CPU.

in the end, you can try with 2nd set of DDR4 RAM, to see if it helps, but i doubt it. And the fact is: unless you have another, working X99 chipset MoBo, you can not rule out MoBo issue.

ESD during PSU/GPU transfer and parts are toast. So, there is a higher chance than 0 of them being the issue.
I have another x99 motherboard from gigabyte, but one day it wouldnt turn on anymore. Havent thoroughly examined it tho, do u think I could fix it? Its a gigabyte x99p-sli. The only problem is that it just wont turn on. I used the same components as this build, but no response whatsoever.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Reasons behind why PC doesn't turn on, are plethora + then some. Replacing defective hardware is the only way to "fix" it.
Could it be that the cpu is defective? The xeon e5-2637v3. And maybe thats why I also have a 00 code on the asus mobo. I dont have any other ddr4 motherboard so cant really test the memory, psu and gpu work 100% so thatd not the problem.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could it be that the cpu is defective?

It could be, yes.
But to be sure, you need 2nd, known to work, LGA2011-3 socket CPU, to test it out.

Though, when it comes to the reliability of PC hardware, CD/DVD drives are at the bottom (worst reliability). MoBo is also quite a ways down and usually, is 1st one to die, when PSU acts up.
On the other end of the scale, CPU is one of the most (if not the most) reliable PC components, lasting easy 10-20 years. No other PC component has that high of a lifespan.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
It could be, yes.
But to be sure, you need 2nd, known to work, LGA2011-3 socket CPU, to test it out.

Though, when it comes to the reliability of PC hardware, CD/DVD drives are at the bottom (worst reliability). MoBo is also quite a ways down and usually, is 1st one to die, when PSU acts up.
On the other end of the scale, CPU is one of the most (if not the most) reliable PC components, lasting easy 10-20 years. No other PC component has that high of a lifespan.
Is it also possible to use a 100% working lga2011v3 cpu? Thats cheaper and easier to get than a whole motherboard

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is it also possible to use a 100% working lga2011v3 cpu? Thats cheaper and easier to get than a whole motherboard

If the issue is with CPU, new CPU would fix that. But if then turns out that the issue is with MoBo, then what?
You'd have two working LGA2011-3 CPUs and broken X99 MoBo.

I've said it 2 times now, and this is the 3rd and final time i say it: Without 2nd set of compatible hardware, to test which one is dead (CPU, MoBo or RAM), there's no telling which of the three (if not all 3) are dead.

History has shown MoBo to be the most likely culprit and CPU to be least likely. Yours could be one of the rare cases where it's vice-versa (CPU dead but MoBo fine). But without spare parts, none of us can tell what component is dead.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
If the issue is with CPU, new CPU would fix that. But if then turns out that the issue is with MoBo, then what?
You'd have two working LGA2011-3 CPUs and broken X99 MoBo.

I've said it 2 times now, and this is the 3rd and final time i say it: Without 2nd set of compatible hardware, to test which one is dead (CPU, MoBo or RAM), there's no telling which of the three (if not all 3) are dead.

History has shown MoBo to be the most likely culprit and CPU to be least likely. Yours could be one of the rare cases where it's vice-versa (CPU dead but MoBo fine). But without spare parts, none of us can tell what component is dead.
A new processor is just 10 bucks so im willing to take the gamble. A friend of mine who does have a ddr4 build tested my ram and it worked. So im left with the cpu and mobo. If the new cpu doesnt work I know both my motherboards are dead. I could maybe try selling them or just keep em for my collection then

Last edited: