Question Motherboard Understanding

Venatator

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
Hello, I know this must have been asked but I cannot find information anywhere, and i've been researching for a good week. I currently have a i7-6700k paired with a z170-P. I want to get a new motherboard but I don't know exactly how things all pair up in relation to compatibility. I want 3600mhz ram ability and also have a GTX 1080. I know my chipset is 1151 and is a 6th gen skylake. Past that point I don't know what motherboards I can get, when I look up compatible motherboards with my CPU none are really made anymore, so trying to figure out what to do. Thank you in advance, I appreciate all of you.

Venatator

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
TBH there is ZERO reason to upgrade to that speed of RAM with Intel. You will probably not see any difference anywhere outside a benchmark. (this is of course assuming that you already have something as a matched set of RAM now)
I currently am running 2400mhz, which I feel is prob pretty behind.

ubronan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
@Venatator
I actually still have a 6700k system unused in my house and i must admit that even though i upgraded to a 8700k there actually is hardly any benefit at all for me from that switch.
The games do not load faster nor is there any benefit in very fast ram either unless your using a ramdisk or something similar.
So without an actual need you simply could choose to stay on your current setup, unless you really have something which does make use of the upgrade.
I have posted a very lenghty reply elsewhere about this as well in the topic about being brand junky or not.
so as long as you really have no need to switch then stick at what you got, if you do need something to speed up then take a look at the second hand market to find something you would like.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Right now the consensus seems to be with AMD/Ryzen for new builds from a cost to performance perspective. Without getting into that too much there are LOADS of threads through the forums that are very current linked parts list to machines from $400 to the sky. Perhaps take a look though some of those and comments to see if anything strikes a chord?

Venatator

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
Well I plan on sticking with my 6700k at the moment. My main problem is just finding a motherboard that is compatible with the 6700k, due to my current having some issues.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Read the posts and still got no idea what the problem is with this motherboard you currently have. I read "ram speed", "beatup io" and "issues" now.
Could you please specify what issues you are experiencing? I would only get a "new" old mobo if it is really neccessary because you will throw money away for no performance benefit.
I would either keep your mb or upgrade cpu ram and mb at once.