[SOLVED] Motherboard upgrade advice

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Hey Community,

I updated my Bios of my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 mobo to latest version (51b) and confirmed it was installed on cpu-z. After about a week a checked again and it indicates it is back at update F31 version. Any ideas what is going on here? I am in process of updating to a Ryzen 3600, but according to part picker I need to be sure my MOBO is updated to latest version prior to installing. Any suggestions or explanation for this? I am holding off to prevent any issues regarding installation of new CPU.

any insight welcome.

thanks,

Slyguy

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Hi Sly :)

I remember reading somewhere that the Bios reverts back to original cause you have Dual Bios and for some reason after a few boots this is what it does.
I'm no expert with Gigabyte Bios update but see if there's a way of updating both Bios.

I did some research and hope this article helps: https://itectec.com/superuser/how-t...ackup-bios-by-shorting-pins-on-the-bios-chip/

THanks for reply. I am considering updating the Motherboard while I am installing new CPU (it just seems easier). Any suggestions?

Current Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (have 3600 on hand ready for install)
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming motherboard (WANT TO UPDATE)
Nvidia Geforce GTX970 (WOULD LIKE TO UPDATE eventually)
M12IIBronze EvoEdition Power Supply (Need more POWER?)
Windows 10 64 bit
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) (I have TridentZ DDR4 2x16GB in package to replace)
Acer S0 Series S220HQL ET.WS0HP.A01 21.5" Full HD 1920 x 1080 5 ms 60 Hz D-Sub, DVI LCD Monitor
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Looking to upgrade)
Also bought a Crucial MX500GB 2.5 inch SSD card (never had one before)

I thought I would just buy the 3600, a little more ram plus a SSD card, but now I am thinking it may just be easier to upgrade my MOBO while i am doing this. Any thoughts you have on doing this? Brands? Love to find a better GPU also.

Lot going on here, but can't afford to have my PC down for extended period of time (at home business).

Thanks Again,

Sly Guy

Your definitely crying out for a new build Sly :) And you have a plan.
No need for downtime keep using what you have till you finish your new build.

My pic on best Motherboard would be ASUS ROG Strix B450-F.

You will notice a real difference in boot times with your new SSD.

Here is a partpicker list for a suitable and compatible GPU to suit your budget, brand and power:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/?compatible_with=XQgzK8

Solution

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Your definitely crying out for a new build Sly :) And you have a plan.
No need for downtime keep using what you have till you finish your new build.

My pic on best Motherboard would be ASUS ROG Strix B450-F.

You will notice a real difference in boot times with your new SSD.

Here is a partpicker list for a suitable and compatible GPU to suit your budget, brand and power:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/?compatible_with=XQgzK8
[/QUOTE

Thanks for support on this. And I hope my cries aren't coming off as too desperate. Just a lot of dollars involved for something I may use primarily for excel and word (with the occasional FPS video game to unwind). Honestly, the fear of burning up a $200 dollar component is all I am trying to avoid.

Thanks for helping out the less IT functional midwestern folk. I can only imagine the repetitive desperate posts you assist with on a daily basis. The options for local PC assistance are limited out here.

Thanks Again,

SlyGuy