Motherboard Upgrade for Intel 7700

jordyroxs1

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
So currently I have " ASUS PRIME B250M-A, Intel B250, DDR4, USB3.1 mATX Motherboard " with a" Intel KabyLake Core i7-7700 3.6Ghz, 8MB, LGA1151 Processor ", Im looking to upgrade my motherboard which is compatiable with that CPU

Here is my PC specs for more info if required: Link

Solution
As someone said earlier and correctly, you will not see any difference with a non-K I7 7700 with any board you use because the 7700 isn't unlocked like a 7700K would be therefore a Z series board is pointless for you. I mean with TurboBoost the I7 7700 is still going to be over 4.0 GHZ when you are gaming which is plenty. If it were me I would stick with what you have and if you want to improve your gaming experience (if you're a gamer) or even audio experience you can always add a sound card and use a better headset. Other things to consider improving gaming, or just the overall computing experience would be better keyboards, mice, better displays, and of course on the gamer side of things a better GPU.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
You wouldn't really get any benefit from changing the motherboard. The next version of board above the b series doesn't really have much difference to it at all. If you are looking for the z series maybe you an go with the z370 series board. The majority of them are very similar and there's not really that much difference to them. It would all boil down to personal preference.

jordyroxs1

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

Well im upgrading my case soon so i thought i might aswell upgrade a few things that could be upgraded and mobo first came to mind

Are you planning of upgrading your whole build eventually? As already mentioned you won't gain much, if any, benefit from switching boards. Perhaps save up so you can do more of an overhaul down the line? If you are still desperate to upgrade I guess you could go for a z270 series board.

You already have support for nvme ssd’s, four ram slots, and a decent number of usb ports.

Only things that might improve with a z270 would be support for faster ram (but that requires purchasing new ram and there’s no a huge leap from 2400 to say 3200). Some boards have another 1 or 2 usb (you could just buy a powered hub or pci card instead). Find one with Realtek 1120 audio (but most can’t hear the difference).

Why?

No need to upgrade the MB as you won't gain anything unless you also get a new unlocked CPU like a 7700K or 7600K.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

None of the newer processors or motherboards will give you enough bump of performance to justify updating what you have. If you need a new case go for it but personally i wouldn't worry about your internals right now. There's very little difference between them in performance.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
As someone said earlier and correctly, you will not see any difference with a non-K I7 7700 with any board you use because the 7700 isn't unlocked like a 7700K would be therefore a Z series board is pointless for you. I mean with TurboBoost the I7 7700 is still going to be over 4.0 GHZ when you are gaming which is plenty. If it were me I would stick with what you have and if you want to improve your gaming experience (if you're a gamer) or even audio experience you can always add a sound card and use a better headset. Other things to consider improving gaming, or just the overall computing experience would be better keyboards, mice, better displays, and of course on the gamer side of things a better GPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS