[SOLVED] Motherboard upgrade to support i5-8400: PRIME H310M-E R2.0 OR PRIME B360M-K?

Oct 16, 2019
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Looking for some guidance on upgrading my motherboard - this is the first time I will undertake such a thing, thus some additional checking.

I was recently gifted an i5-8400 CPU (current CPU: Intel i5-7400), this is not supported by my current motherboard (H110M-A/M.2), therefore I have opted to splash out a little on a new motherboard.

My computer use is purely recreational: streaming movies and a heavy emphasis on gaming.

My own investigating an appropriate upgrade has led me to either: PRIME H310M-E R2.0 or PRIME B360M-K (through the ASUS website and the handy motherboard tool in this forum) - both fit the bill far as I can tell because: it has the same dimensions (mATX (8.9 inch x 7.3 inch (22.6 cm x 18.5 cm), I'm keen to stick to these dimensions because I want to avoid buying a new case, my case isn't particularly large and the cables that run behind the panel are just long enough to work around the board), it can support the 8th gen i5-8400, relevant slots to fit 2 x RAM, 2070 Super, 1 x NVMe M.2, 1 x HDD & 1 x SSD - I have stuck to ASUS because that's the board I have now, it's a known variable.

Is there something I may have missed? Are these the latest versions of such boards (I'm happy to spend on the latest appropriate version)? Are there other considerations and/or suggestions?

Thank you.

Solution
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Looking for some guidance on upgrading my motherboard - this is the first time I will undertake such a thing, thus some additional checking.

I was recently gifted an i5-8400 CPU (current CPU: Intel i5-7400), this is not supported by my current motherboard (H110M-A/M.2), therefore I have opted to splash out a little on a new motherboard.

My computer use is purely recreational: streaming movies and a heavy emphasis on gaming.

My own investigating an appropriate upgrade has led me to either: PRIME H310M-E R2.0 or PRIME B360M-K (through the ASUS website and the handy motherboard tool in this forum) - both fit the bill far as I can tell because: it has the same dimensions (mATX (8.9...
Hello all,

My own investigating an appropriate upgrade has led me to either: PRIME H310M-E R2.0 or PRIME B360M-K (through the ASUS website and the handy motherboard tool in this forum) - both fit the bill far as I can tell because: it has the same dimensions (mATX (8.9 inch x 7.3 inch (22.6 cm x 18.5 cm), I'm keen to stick to these dimensions because I want to avoid buying a new case, my case isn't particularly large and the cables that run behind the panel are just long enough to work around the board), it can support the 8th gen i5-8400, relevant slots to fit 2 x RAM, 2070 Super, 1 x NVMe M.2, 1 x HDD & 1 x SSD - I have stuck to ASUS because that's the board I have now, it's a known variable.

Is there something I may have missed? Are these the latest versions of such boards (I'm happy to spend on the latest appropriate version)? Are there other considerations and/or suggestions?

Thank you.
This would be the latest: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B365-PLUS/specifications/ if you must stick with Asus, and in budget terms. You could go with a Z370 if they are cheap enough. They will offer more options, better quality components, but a really meant for unlocked CPU's, which your is not.

Reactions: Robert UK
Solution