Question Motherboard upgrade

Apr 21, 2019
Hello people of Tom’s Hardware!

First post - I’ve lurked quite a bit in the past and got a lot of answers from this site but have run into a predicament I’m not sure there are any existing posts about, so I’ll dive right in!

I recently acquired a small form factor Lenovo M73 on the cheap. In it was an i5 4460, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM, and a 500GB HDD. I’ve been progressively upgrading it, at present I’ve put in a 300W Seasonic TFX PSU, two SSDs, a Gigabyte 1050 Ti 4GB graphics card, replaced the stock fans with Noctua fans (to keep it silent) and my most recent upgrade is 16GB of HyperX Savage RAM, with advertised speeds of 2400mhz.

Clearly I didn’t do enough research before purchasing the RAM, as whilst the 4460 is a ‘Haswell Refresh’ which (as far as I understand it) is compatible with 2400mhz RAM, the stock Lenovo motherboard doesn’t seem to support XMP, so it’s currently clocked at 1600mhz.

The general vibe I’m getting is that I wouldn’t really notice the difference in RAM speed. But, as I have already got it in the rig, I figure it makes sense to utilise it.

So I have two questions, firstly is there any way to force the Lenovo motherboard to use the higher speed RAM?

I imagine that’s unlikely, so my second question is, is it really worth upgrading the motherboard? Would this benefit me in any way other than being able to use the faster RAM?

The one I have my eye on is this, as I’ve found one cheap on eBay:

One other thing that I’ve read is that enabling XMP a can make a system unstable. Is this a problem I’m likely to run into?

Just hoping for some thoughts from some people with more experience than me!

Many thanks,

Sam

B85M Pro4
Supports DDR3/DDR3L 1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered memory

Specifications for ThinkCentre M73 (Small Form Factor)
Memory
  • 16GB max, UDIMM, PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3, two 240-pin DIMM sockets
  • System automatically clocks down for processors with 1333MHz memory controller
any way to force the Lenovo motherboard to use the higher speed RAM? No

Apr 21, 2019
Thanks for your response Calvin.

I may have misunderstood something here but the Asrock website for the B85M Pro4 states:

Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 1.3 / 1.2

Is this not saying that it will support 2400mhz RAM? I thought that XMP was all I needed!

If this isn’t going to do it, do you have any recommendations for any other mATX motherboard which would fit the bill?