[SOLVED] Motherboard upgrade

Mar 20, 2022
Hi there, I bought a new motherboard to upgrade my CPU to the intel I5 12400. Upon removing the old motherboard, I saw that the posts don't line up with the new motherboard mounting holes. I read that one can reposition these posts but mine seem to be on there pretty tight. Also, if I were able to move the screw posts, the case doesn't seem to have the holes to accommodate the new motherboard. Does this mean I have to buy a new case?

Old motherboard Asus Z270E Gaming
New motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A

20220330-132850.jpg
20220330-131901.jpg

Solution
I would highly suggest using an appropriately sized 1/4" drive socket with nutdriver. Much less chance of slipping off and scratching or scoring the motherboard tray surface of the case. If not possible, a pair of standard pliers, with flat ends, is a good choice, for the same reason. Pointed pliers like needlenose are much more likely to slip and or scratch anodized, painted or otherwise finished surfaces. Under the board not as big of a deal, but I've definitely seen people scratch long grooves when they've slipped on standoffs that are particularly tight.

Just an FYI to hopefully avoid doing that. And, for the record, here is where you want to put the standoffs for any given form factor...
I would highly suggest using an appropriately sized 1/4" drive socket with nutdriver. Much less chance of slipping off and scratching or scoring the motherboard tray surface of the case. If not possible, a pair of standard pliers, with flat ends, is a good choice, for the same reason. Pointed pliers like needlenose are much more likely to slip and or scratch anodized, painted or otherwise finished surfaces. Under the board not as big of a deal, but I've definitely seen people scratch long grooves when they've slipped on standoffs that are particularly tight.

Just an FYI to hopefully avoid doing that. And, for the record, here is where you want to put the standoffs for any given form factor.

microatx.png

Solution
The only standoff hole I DON'T see in the case is the one at the bottom left of the RAM slots. That location has some sort of feature there with "AMI" stamped next to it. Other than that, remove the 3 standoff pegs along the bottom that aren't used and put them in the holes that correspond with your mobo.

logainofhades

Titan
The only standoff hole I DON'T see in the case is the one at the bottom left of the RAM slots. That location has some sort of feature there with "AMI" stamped next to it. Other than that, remove the 3 standoff pegs along the bottom that aren't used and put them in the holes that correspond with your mobo.

I believe that is a fixed standoff nub. The mounting hole just sits on it, for support. I have seen them, in cases, before.

Good call on the board. I was just going off what the OP circled and was not paying as much attention to the features of the board or the fact that they posted the board model as I should have been.

On the standoffs, especially since there is an integrated standoff there, make certain you use the standoffs that came with the case. Other standoffs may not be height correct when compared to the integrated standoff.

Be sure you install the rear I/O shield BEFORE you install the motherboard, or you'll be taking the board back out again to do so after you've already installed it.

Reactions: Aeacus