Motherboard Upgrade

cruisert

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I own a HP Pavilion Elite e9260f. I have recently purchased battlefield 3 and realized I need to upgrade my video card which means also my motherboard. I have been searching online, but I have no idea what modern motherboards will fit into my computer case. I was hoping to put a Geforce GTX 560 (or better) in as well, if that changes what motherboards can be used.

Computer Specs
- Intel i5 750
- 8 GB DDR3 ram
- Geforce gt230 (Currently)
- 350W power supply (I will need to replace this as well, let me know if you have suggestions)

Thank you for any help or advice

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
New cases are much cheaper than trying to fit the kind of horsepower you want into the mATX HP case you have. Keep the cpu and ram, maybe both drives, and buy the rest new.

It is possible that you might be able to squeeze an AMD 6850 into your system, use 2 molex adapters to power the 6 pin connector on the card and get by. I'd be worried about heat inside that small case and whether the 350w psu could handle the 6850 over the long term though...

cruisert

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I plan on getting a new power supply. I have been looking at some 500-600W ones. I don't know if I will buy a new case because I plan on purchasing a entirely new computer in a year or so.

I'm not thinking anything crazy for a graphics card, probably along the lines of geforce GTX 560 ti. I'm trying to find the ones that tend to run cool.

Would a video card with SLI right now be able to pair with a newer card built in the future when I do decide to purchase a computer?