[SOLVED] Motherboard Upgrades and CPU Matching

capri76

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2013
I use two computers, one Windows 10 only and one Linux only.

Linux Computer:
  • MSI Z390-A Pro with Core i5-9600K

Windows 10 Computer:
  • ASRock H370M Pro4 with Core i5-8600K

I have a new ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming (wi-fi) motherboard.
The support shroud for the right side USB 3.0 header came off, and I can not get it back on.
Since I only need one and there are two of those, this should not be a problem.

I'm thinking of replacing the MSI board in the Linux machine with the ASUS board and using the MSI
to upgrade the Windows machine.

I like the ASUS board because of it's appearance and some minimal RGB features.
The Linux machine is my preferred computer.
Both cases have a tempered glass side panel. I'll use a new Corsair 4000D Airflow for the Windows machine.

The MSI board seems to work well. The UEFI is well organized and easy to navigate.
I have have never used an ASUS board and I'm not familiar with the ASUS UEFI.
I have never done any overclocking, but plan on doing a modest overclock, at least with the Linux machine.
===============================================================================

How do these two motherboards compare?
Which board would be the best match for those two CPUs?

Solution
The Asus board is much better built, has better thermals and will allow the CPU to run quieter when overclocked. Other than that there's no difference. Certainly the MSI board has all the same features but the Asus board is just better equipped for CPU overclocking.

So I guess if you only plan to overclock on your Linux box, then put it in that.

The better thermals would make it quieter in games though, non-overclocked. If It were me I would overclock neither CPU and put the Asus board in my windows 10 box for games, since gaming is the only time my PC ever gets hot so it's better to have the motherboard with good thermals in there for games.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The Asus board is much better built, has better thermals and will allow the CPU to run quieter when overclocked. Other than that there's no difference. Certainly the MSI board has all the same features but the Asus board is just better equipped for CPU overclocking.

So I guess if you only plan to overclock on your Linux box, then put it in that.

The better thermals would make it quieter in games though, non-overclocked. If It were me I would overclock neither CPU and put the Asus board in my windows 10 box for games, since gaming is the only time my PC ever gets hot so it's better to have the motherboard with good thermals in there for games.

Reactions: capri76
Solution

capri76

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2013

If It were me I would overclock neither CPU and put the Asus board in my windows 10 box for games, since gaming is the only time my PC ever gets hot so it's better to have the motherboard with good thermals in there for games.

Thanks, TommyTwoTone66.
That's what I wanted to know.
I don't do any gaming, so that is not an issue.