Question Motherboard USB 3.0 ports not working after CPU pins got bent.

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
Hello!
So recently due to a mishap I managed to bend atleast 8 pins on my CPU. I did straighten them out to the best of my abilities but stil had to apply a bit of pressure to get it back into the socket.
PC booted up normally, but 2 days later I find out that two of the four USB 3 ports on my motherboard aren't supplying enough power to keep my webcam or my mouse on.
Now a week later I'm sitting with all four usb 3 ports on the back of the motherboard malfunctioning and disconnecting randomly.
Only my keyboard works when plugged into these usb ports even though the backlight gets very very dim.

Is this because of the CPU mishap I had with the bent pins or is it time for the motherboard to be replaced?

My Specs-
Ryzen 5 2600
Msi B450 gaming plus
16 GB RAM
RTX 2070

Last edited:
Hello!
So recently due to a mishap I managed to bend atleast 8 pins on my CPU. I did straighten them out to the best of my abilities but stil had to apply a bit of pressure to get it back into the socket.
PC booted up normally, but 2 days later I find out that two of the four USB 3 ports on my motherboard aren't supplying enough power to keep my webcam or my mouse on.
Now a week later I'm sitting with all four usb 3 ports on the back of the motherboard malfunctioning and disconnecting randomly.
Only my keyboard works when plugged into these usb ports even though the backlight gets very very dim.

Is this because of the CPU mishap I had with the bent pins or is it time for the motherboard to be replaced?

My Specs-
Ryzen 5 2600
Msi B450 gaming plus
16 GB RAM
RTX 2070
Not really sure, since bent pins can cause random symptoms. And bent 8 pins is really bad for your CPU, I surprised the CPU still working. Do you have another CPU to test for make sure ?

Reactions: Shraman Mitra

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
Not really sure, since bent pins can cause random symptoms. And bent 8 pins is really bad for your CPU, I surprised the CPU still working. Do you have another CPU to test for make sure ?
The CPU works(I OCed and checked as well) but I do face random crashes and System reboots.
And this USB problem showed up immediately after the bent pins incident.
I will be getting a new CPU in 3 to 4 days time. I will check and update accordingly then,
If a new CPU doesn't fix it, it will be the Motherboard I'm guessing?

The CPU works(I OCed and checked as well) but I do face random crashes and System reboots.
And this USB problem showed up immediately after the bent pins incident.
I will be getting a new CPU in 3 to 4 days time. I will check and update accordingly then,
Will wait for next update then

If a new CPU doesn't fix it, it will be the Motherboard I'm guessing?
Yes, it could be possible. Can be shorted because the bent pins. But most likely the CPU is the culprit.

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
Will wait for next update then

Yes, it could be possible. Can be shorted because the bent pins. But most likely the CPU is the culprit.
Thanks again for the super quick response, really appreciate it.
I'll try and check if my present cpu needs some more work on the pins.
I'll update this thread once I get my new CPU installed then.
Fingers crossed!