Question Motherboard USB Ports randomly stopped working ?

kajga

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA H61-m
CPU: I5 3450
GPU: RX 580 8GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3

So basically all my mobo usb ports stopped working 2 days ago and only 2 ports on the front of the case are working.
The problem occured after i force shutdown my pc by holding the power button, before that everything worked perfectly fine, next day when i turned the pc on my peripherals didnt want to work.

I tried uninstalling the ports via device manager, updating the drivers via device manager, turning off fast startup... I also booted into safe mode to see if the ports will work there but no, only the front ports work and none of the back ones do
I also tested the back ports by plugging in my phone charger and it started to charge my phone so i guess the ports arent dead? If you have any suggestions please post them, thanks in advance.

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA H61-m
CPU: I5 3450
GPU: RX 580 8GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3

So basically all my mobo usb ports stopped working 2 days ago and only 2 ports on the front of the case are working.
The problem occured after i force shutdown my pc by holding the power button, before that everything worked perfectly fine, next day when i turned the pc on my peripherals didnt want to work
I tried uninstalling the ports via device manager, updating the drivers via device manager, turning off fast startup... I also booted into safe mode to see if the ports will work there but no, only the front ports work and none of the back ones do
I also tested the back ports by plugging in my phone charger and it started to charge my phone so i guess the ports arent dead? If you have any suggestions please write them, thanks in advance
Sounds like you might have shorted the data controller for them as the power still works but that's not the same line as the data controller.... You can always try going to mobo website and download all their drivers for your mobo there and see if installing them may correct the issue but I doubt it, you probably need a new mobo sadly

Apr 1, 2023
Hey I ran to this problem yesterday and figured out that the HDD was the problem. First try to disconnect the SATA cable then try to start your PC and see if that works.
That was my solution to the problem.

Reactions: white.a.drew

kajga

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
Little update
I managed to fix the problem somehow by plugging my usb device into a port that doesnt work and pressing scan for hardware changes, all the ports began to work flawlessly and worked for 2 hours, but after restarting the pc the ports aren't working again and the scan for hardware changes option doesn't work.
What could i do?

Little update
I managed to fix the problem somehow by plugging my usb device into a port that doesnt work and pressing scan for hardware changes, all the ports begun to work flawlessly and worked for 2 hours, after restarting the pc the ports arent working again and the scan for hardware changes option doesnt work
What could i do?

That's interesting, your PC isn't auto scanning the ports for activity. Your best option sounds like try a bootable USB, if this works your OS is corrupted.

Yeah..only thing I'm wondering is how my os got corrupted just from shutting the pc down by holding power button
Simple there's a reason for the shut down sequence, it tells the computer to end task that are in progress because it's the essential things the keep the os stable... The more you force shutdown a PC, the more it bipass the shutdown features "FORCING THE SYTSEM" stop mid thought. Like taking a Ford engine at 7000rpms, and downshifting your lucky if you don't blow your transmission.