Motherboard Vendors Release BIOS Updates For Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRNG

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
I appreciate the heads up from Tom's. And I appreciate the difficulty. But I'm wondering if there's a snowball's chance in hell of my wife's H97 board or worse, my Z77 board ever getting updated. Both of them are Asus boards and Asus's current page only shows 110 boards and newer. I'll hopefully be upgrading my system this year. But my wife has no need to from a usage perspective.

compprob237

Distinguished

Z77? I've still got X58 and 975X systems that would need this patch.

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

X58 and 975X? Pah! I've got a P45 Asus Maximus Formula that would need this patch :)

compprob237

Distinguished

I've got a friend with the Asus P5Q Deluxe which is also P45. I've got a VIA Apollo Pro133A chipset (Circa 2000) kicking around in a box somewhere that I really should throw away. Interesting to see people still squeezing life out of decade-old systems.

dpmendez1212

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Microsoft will continue updates until they have total control last update blocks oc software needed to game. Windows 10 total nightmare kill 2 of my PCs. Best to put updates on hold cause Microsoft has no clue. 10 killed web cam, auto update worst idea yet. Put updates on metered mode

Lord3210

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Yeh, all the Utilities of my Maximus Vll formula stopped working on me among other things. Just uninstalled the Patches and Disabled Updates for now, will try again in a week or two.

I've got 2 P45 mobos here. The P5Q SE/R and P5Q SE2

Just changed the CPU on the SE/R to a Quad a few weeks ago. And chucked an SSD on the SE2 system

Both have Win10 and 6 GB on them. The SE2 had Win7 on it, but for some odd reason, the mouse just decided not to move one day. Well none of the USB ports wanted to work in Win7.

But they work fine in Win10.

S, I decided to chuck an SSD in it and install Win10 instead. The old hdd is still in it, but it's not the boot hdd

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Took a look at the ASUS pages and DON'T even see my MB - a mATX ASUS Z97M-PLUS - even listed as one of their products. Certainly not on the BIOS updte page listing cited above. (Build in early 2015.) Since I seem to build a new desktop every 2-4 years, I guess my question is what is Intel (and AMD) doing to their new hardware to prevent new CPUs from having these vulnerabilities? Once patches for the microcode (BIOS) get applied, do we see what performance hits the existing CPUs we have in our machines now will take? Or are these just stoopid questions? Hope all at Tom's have a great New Year!

DOSlover

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I have a P35 Gigabyte system with a hacked xeon L5430 (started out with a E6750) in it, along with 8GB RAM. I don't suppose that will get a look in but I am not overly concerned as it is off line and used for TV, video and CAD work.

ozicom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
In the Asus link that was given in this article show that my mobo needs (it's H170M D-E3) a BIOS update but in support page of my mobo there's no such BIOS revision. So what's going on? How can we get that BIOS update?
Thanks asus

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I notice the update says AMD is releasing BIOS updates for variant 1 and 2. The previous propaganda was there were not vulnerable. It now looks like AMD just dodge for a few days hoping for quick gains but in the end lost by showing dishonest. Intel was honest and took responsibility. And that is why Intel stock is up over the last year and AMD is way down.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I hope you realize there are three separate exploits. Meltdown is the immediate threat and AMD is not vulnerable. Spectre has two variants. Both are much harder to exploit than Meltdown. AMD is vulnerable to Spectre Variant 1. AMD is LESS vulnerable to Spectre Variant 2. They never claimed immunity, they said there was near-zero risk of exploitation. Which at this time is true: It's hard to exploit to begin with, and extremely hard to exploit on AMD chips, and exploitation of it on AMD architecture has not yet been demonstrated. If some journalists misinterpreted that, that's on them, not AMD. But I looked at AMD's words myself, and realized they never said they were immune to Variant 2.

With that being said, they're addressing both Spectre vulnerabilities, even the lowest-risk one. Because it's the smart thing to do. Again, they are not affected by Meltdown so they don't need to worry about that.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Opposite ends of the spectrum: My brand new Alienware laptop already has the UEFI update, and my old Commodore 64 is immune. Can't get much more opposite than that, LOL!

pjc72779

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
EDIT: (02-01-2018): Antivirus companies are reporting that the Meltdown and Spectre attacks are ramping up rapidly, and still no Intel motherboard or Hp Laptop BIOS update......not even an ETA.

I have a really bad feeling my very capable 10 year old Intel motherboard (As in built my own computer) isn't going to get a BIOS update because Intel stated, at least as of this past week, that only motherboards 5 years old will be fixed. And I am sure a class action lawsuit will only get me enough money to buy one cable for a new motherboard!

corndog1836

Distinguished
anyone have info on devils canyon(4790k) released in Q2, 2014.... I have an ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA Z97 MOBO. see rig in sig, which was also introduced at that time..... have since emailed ASUS on this issue and have gotten scripted answers. i have installed this update on January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192). Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709 . Is this all I can do?

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
If you use Linux, then there are microcode updates you can install and load at every boot. Useful if your vendor does not offer BIOS updates. For Windows I found this guide to do something similar:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-update-microcode-from-windows.787152/

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Intel better go back as far as socket 1155 for their brand of motherboards (before they sold off to Lenovo) if they want my next upgrade to be Intel.

Many 1155 processors are still strong, even today.

ROB_DF_MX

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2015
Well, I am on an Asus P9X79 WS Motherboard, my Intel Core i7-4930K Six Core CPU works terrific for my needs and has been overclocked to 4.5GHz. If Asus / Intel are not to post a new fixed BIOS update that will affect the most my work and investment.

This has to be the best way for those companies to push out all the good and old hardware in order to increase their sales by selling defective hardware !

If I am forced to update my hardware you can bet no more Asus / Intel hardware for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.