Motherboard video ports or GFX card video ports?

hypernexus

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
HI,

Building a pc soon and want to get my monitor setup right given the ports on my kit.
Relative spec: GFX: Gigabyte radeon 7950 windforce 3. MOBO: Gigabyte z77-d3h(intel) Monitor : Ben q 24 in vga/dvi CPU: i7 3770k

What ports should/can I use for monitors - the ones on the gfx card, or the ones on the motherboard?

My motherboard has vga, dvi and hdmi, my gfx card has dvi and hdmi.

Monitor 1 (for gaming) only has dvi and vga ( I want to use dvi)
Monitor 2 is a wacom cintiq 22hd with I want connected via a dvi too.

Would running the Cintiq through the motherboard mean I wouldn't get the gfx card's power? I will be using the cintiq for photoshop and mudbox (mud uses gfx card)

I'm confused. Can I use any ports or should I defo be using the gfx card ports?

I have seen hdmi-dvi adaptors but have read hdmi is fussy about resolutions? Could I use a hdmi-dvi adaptor to the cintiq as I know I will only ever be using 1920x1080 on that monitor wheres I may frequently change resolutions on the gaming monitor?

Thanks.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
you should be using your GFX card's ports. after everything is set up.you could use an adaptern or maybe even use a card with 2 dvi's. i don't think you will get any display if you connect one to the mobo and other to the GFx card. as mobo's one will be de activated.and i don't seem to know much about adapters or HDMI ports.

hypernexus

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

What is the purpose of the mobo ports? Is it for systems with no dedicated gfx? Thanks for response, the gfx card I'm getting only has one dvi so I will wait to see if anyone can advise on the hdmi-dvi adapter. Cheers

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

almost all CPU's have built in gfx. older on'es had them embeded in chpsets while new one's have them on processors. so mobo's port connect your monitor to the CPU/chipsets GFX.