[SOLVED] Motherboard vss pin(ground) damaged

Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

My motherboard is an asrock z370 pro4. I recently purchased a new cpu i7-8700k and before i put it in the socket i realized that i VSS(ground) pin was missing it's head. Not even broken
just missing it's head and i wasn't sure if it was even going to work. I replaced the cpu from my old one and now it works fine i have even overclocked it 1Ghz (from 3.7 to 4.7). And all ram sticks and slots are working on dual channel.But i have a question:

1)Will this affect overclocking in the future.
2)Is there any way i can see if that pin is actually making contact with the cpu because as i said the head only broke not the hole pin.
3)Should i purchase a new motherboard in the future just to be safe? or I will be fine using the current one I have

Solution
Some of those pins won't affect anything even if they're not making contact with the contact pads on your CPU.

1) Well, you've tested the OC thoroughly and if it's completely stable, then you shouldn't have problems in the future.

2)Not really, no.... it also depends on how much is missing from the pin.

3)If it's working perfectly normal as you described, of course not... you're safe with it.
Some of those pins won't affect anything even if they're not making contact with the contact pads on your CPU.

1) Well, you've tested the OC thoroughly and if it's completely stable, then you shouldn't have problems in the future.

3)If it's working perfectly normal as you described, of course not... you're safe with it.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 5, 2020

1) Well, you've tested the OC thoroughly and it's completely stable, then you shouldn't have problems in the future.

Thanks for your response pretty helpful and straight forward

Reactions: ChumP