Question Motherboard Wi-Fi and HDMI not working. It also crashed!

Jul 16, 2022
So the other day, a custom computer I ordered arrived. After some time of setting up Windows I arrived at the desktop screen and unplugged my USB keyboard (a generic Logitech one). The computer immediately shut down and I could hear several worrying noises like it was dry heaving or struggling to do something. Afterward the computer would force itself into BIOS and after an hour, I set the boot to CSM and turned the Chassis system off, which then allowed me to return to the desktop screen. This is probably my biggest question out of the 3. Is this whole situation something to worry about? I feel like my computer is on the verge of having something unrepairable happen with the motherboard or something. The fact that CSM is the only reason I an get back into my computer terrifies me.

Also, just as a side issue (or two). The HDMI port on the motherboard does not work. When I plug the monitor into it, it says it cannot get an input signal. This happened to me before on another computer after the whole motherboard had shorted out (funny enough after I pulled a USB flash drive out). Does pulling a USB out cause these issues? The Wi-Fi on this thing doesn't work either. It will get internet if I plug an Ethernet cable into it, but the Wi-Fi option just wont work. It will say it 'Cannot connect to the network' even though all other devices will. I have tried resetting the network already.

Please help me, I really need help getting this fixed. I'm at my wits end trying to find google advice.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 LGA 1700 Intel 12th Gen ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200
Power: CORSAIR CX-F RGB Series CX750F RGB 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Fully Modular
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF - Core i7 12th Gen Alder Lake 12-Core (8P+4E) 3.6 GHz LGA 1700 125W
Graphics: GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0
HHD: WD Blue 3TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5
SSD: SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC
Cooler: MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 360mm Radiator
Windows 10

Weird indeed. Having to revert to CSM after having it work without it is unusual. I don't know if that motherboard has a dedicated TPM 2 chip, if it does maybe it failed. This would explain why it only works with CSM (since this disables TPM). As for the HDMI and WiFi, if you have the proper drivers installed and they don't work, I'd be worried. Not that they are very relevant for a desktop PC, but more because whatever the reason that caused them to fail could be hiding more issues you don't know about yet. If this is pre-built, I'd open a ticket for this issues just in case I have to RMA it later, so I can prove it was defective from the moment I got it.

Jul 16, 2022
Weird indeed. Having to revert to CSM after having it work without it is unusual. I don't know if that motherboard has a dedicated TPM 2 chip, if it does maybe it failed. This would explain why it only works with CSM (since this disables TPM). As for the HDMI and WiFi, if you have the proper drivers installed and they don't work, I'd be worried. Not that they are very relevant for a desktop PC, but more because whatever the reason that caused them to fail could be hiding more issues you don't know about yet. If this is pre-built, I'd open a ticket for this issues just in case I have to RMA it later, so I can prove it was defective from the moment I got it.

Could you explain to me a bit more about the TPM chip (or non-existence of) conflicting with the CSM? I'm still learning about this kind of stuff and would like to know more about what might have happened. And yeah, I've tried getting the drives from the main website as well to get the network working and it still refuses to do anything without an ethernet cable. Should I just refund this?

Sure, TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a hardware module that is meant to store keys used for encryption and DRM. One of the main reasons for its creation is preventing malware infections that work before the OS is even loaded. It is also used to store license information and encryption keys, for something like software licenses, DRM and disk encryption. There are software implementations of TPM too (like Intel PTT and AMD fTPM).

Your motherboard has a dedicated port for a hardware TPM module, like this. Your processor supports TPM 2.0 via firmware (Intel PTT). You can check which is enabled via BIOS (I belive there's a TPM device selection under "Advanced". Mine is AMD, can't check). Keep in mind changing TPM device may render your current install unbootable.

Header should be here:
aOWodau.png

As for refunding, I'd first check if there are no unidentified devices under device manager. If all is properly installed and enabled in BIOS and still there are things not working, then I'd either open a support ticket or ask for a refund (depending on what would be less of a hassle).