[SOLVED] Motherboard with ATX pin brown from burn? could be PSU's fault?

hades85

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014
Computer was working for years, and even on the last days it never shut down, or freezed.
Suddenly the pc wouldnt give POST beep, the computer wouldn't give a display, but fans were running.
I tried another PSU and the same result no display no beep on post, nothing, just fans spinning.
I tried the GPU on another computer and it worked.
Tried mixing RAMs, then only one, changing places, etc. Didn't try another model of ram but I find it unlikely both rams failed
(PC is not mine so I don't know the past beeping noises)

Further examination I found the MOBO had one pin from the ATX pin connector brown, like if it was burned.
I bought a new cpu and mobo but I'm now afraid that it was the PSU that burned the pin and the mobo, although the cord from the PSU connector doesn't seem burned, and I believe it's a pretty good PSU.
Computer had around 10 years of not heavy use, used for gaming for maybe 1 year.

CPU: AMD FX 8120
Motherboard: GA-990 XA-UD3 rev 3.0
Ram: HYPERX FURY 2x 8GB
SSD/HDD: samsung evo SSD
GPU: gtx 660OC-2GB GIgabyte
PSU: Enermax Revolution Xt ERX530AWT 530W 80 plus gold
Chassis: NOX coolbay VX
1667578459736.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
GPU: 6xx GTX nvidia series I believe

How old is the PSU in your build? Also, GTX6xx series doesn't exactly narrow down the GPU you're working with.

In all honesty, I wouldn't have dropped that 125W TDP processor into a board of that quality. Something that was more beefy would've been a good idea. Then again, it's an old platform.

I tried another PSU and the same result no display no beep on post, nothing, just fans spinning.
Make and model of the PSU and it's age?

Seems to me like the board has bit the dust.

Lutfij

Titan

How old is the PSU in your build? Also, GTX6xx series doesn't exactly narrow down the GPU you're working with.

In all honesty, I wouldn't have dropped that 125W TDP processor into a board of that quality. Something that was more beefy would've been a good idea. Then again, it's an old platform.

Reactions: hades85
Solution

hades85

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014

PSU has same as the other components, about 10 years
GPU 660OC-2GB GIgabyte

It's a low tier Corsair vs650 which works, just tested on another pc.

So my question is should I sleep well if I use the same PSU enermax Revolution Xt ERX530AWT 530W 80 plus gold on the new mobo, or could it fry it rather quick?
New Mobo is: H510M-A PRO msi

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS