Question Motherboard with Intel graphics supporting at least 5120 x 1440 resolution for 5K UHD monitor

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
I have a system I built 6 years ago (I think) comprising Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X Gaming 7 1151 with 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700K and 32gb DDR4 3200MHz memory.

I am more than happy with this system, which is used for Oracle database and tools development and some video processing (but no much these days).

I've decided I want to replace my HP 38" curved monitor to a newer 49" 5K UHD model, which provides 5120 x 1440 resolution @60Mhz.

Not surprisingly my existing onboard Intel graphics doesn't support this resolution so I would need to purchase a graphics card. There are two reasons why I'm not sure this is a good idea: 1. My system is almost silent and most decent cards have multiple fans making lots of noise. 2. My current 7th Gen processor isn't supported by Windows 11 (I'm still on Windows 10 so thanks for that Microsoft).

So, rather than sticking with my current system I'm thinking it might be time for an upgrade.

If possible I would like to get a motherboard that has an onboard intel graphics chip supporting a resolution of 5120 x 1440 minimum. It would also be great if it could use my existing 4 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V series F4-3200 CI4Q DDR4 memory (for now) so that I didn't have to purchase new memory as well as a new motherboard and processor (plus the very expensive monitor).

I'm not a gamer and this desktop is mainly used for work.

Does such a motherboard exist or will I have to sacrifice using my existing DDR4 memory for a good onboard Intel graphics processor that will support the required resolution\/

I'm not necessarily interested in paying for the latest technology, but if that's what it takes as I really don't want to install a separate, noisy, expensive gaming graphics card.

It would also be great if it could use my existing 4 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V series F4-3200 CI4Q DDR4
i wouldn't see any good reason to upgrade if you're still going to stick with outdated hardware.
if you're going for it, make it worth the upgrade and move onto a newer platform supporting DDR5.

your old hardware can always be sold through the online marketplace;
Amazon seller profile,
Facebook Marketplace,
Craigslist, etc...
I would like to get a motherboard that has an onboard intel graphics chip supporting a resolution of 5120 x 1440
go through the latest processor product support pages for both Intel & AMD and see for yourself what resolutions are supported.
the information will be available there with the processor specs.

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
i wouldn't see any good reason to upgrade if you're still going to stick with outdated hardware.
if you're going for it, make it worth the upgrade and move onto a newer platform supporting DDR5.

your old hardware can always be sold through the online marketplace;
Amazon seller profile,
Facebook Marketplace,
Craigslist, etc...

go through the latest processor product support pages for both Intel & AMD and see for yourself what resolutions are supported.
the information will be available there with the processor specs.
I have identified some 13th and 14th gen processors that support Intel UHD Graphic 770, however, when looking at the vast array of Gigabyte motherboards it would appear that even though they may support these processors, they don't appear to provide connections that allow 5120 x 1440 monitors to be connected.

As an example, the Intel i9-13900k can be used in the Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE X AX, however, the onboard graphics for this motherboard only supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60 Hz.

So, not sure how going thought the latest processor product support pages, which is exactly where I started, is going to help me find the motherboard!

I've only looked at Gigabyte as I've had this before, but there are many more boards available and I was hoping someone would have the knowledge and previous experience to point me in the right direction. If I have to trawl through every motherboard then so be it, but there must be a better way and focusing only on the processor isn't the way.

not sure how going thought the latest processor product support pages, which is exactly where I started, is going to help me find the motherboard...onboard graphics for this motherboard only supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60 Hz
it's the type of connection they offer that matters; HDMI version, Display Port version, etc.

HDMI 2.1
DP 2.0+

that's like a CPU/motherboard claiming they only support up to 2400MHz DDR4,
but the DIMM slot actually will read & work perfectly with up to 3600MHz + an overclock.
some 13th and 14th gen processors that support Intel UHD Graphic 770
why are you only focusing on Intel products?

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
I have identified some 13th and 14th gen processors that support Intel UHD Graphic 770, however, when looking at the vast array of Gigabyte motherboards it would appear that even though they may support these processors, they don't appear to provide connections that allow 5120 x 1440 monitors to be connected.

As an example, the Intel i9-13900k can be used in the Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE X AX, however, the onboard graphics for this motherboard only supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60 Hz.

So, not sure how going thought the latest processor product support pages, which is exactly where I started, is going to help me find the motherboard!

I've only looked at Gigabyte as I've had this before, but there are many more boards available and I was hoping someone would have the knowledge and previous experience to point me in the right direction. If I have to trawl through every motherboard then so be it, but there must be a better way and focusing only on the processor isn't the way.
unfortuntatley considering how old the system is, your prob gonna have to do a full upgrade to reach anything near 5k

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
it's the type of connection they offer that matters; HDMI version, Display Port version, etc.

HDMI 2.1
DP 2.0+

that's like a CPU/motherboard claiming they only support up to 2400MHz DDR4,
but the DIMM slot actually will read & work perfectly with up to 3600MHz + an overclock.

why are you only focusing on Intel products?
Because I have to start somewhere!

My last two builds have been Intel and both have served me well. I'm also more familiar with the Intel range of processors, plus I own shares in Intel so you could say I have a vested interest to purchase their products! However, I'm not ruling out AMD, but the number of motherboards/processor/memory combinations for Intel alone is huge without also adding AMD into the mix.

Do you have a recommendation for an AMD board and processor that meets my requirements?

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
unfortuntatley considering how old the system is, your prob gonna have to do a full upgrade to reach anything near 5k
Yes, the more I look around the more it seems likely I will have to go for "modern" technology. I tried looking at some older chipsets e.g. Z590, which appears to be capable for what I need and supports DDR4 memory, but motherboards are selling for over a £1000, when the Z790 is around half that. No idea why older technology should be so much more expensive, unless it's simply down to lack of availability (supply and demand).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Intel's current newest socket supports DDR4, nothing wrong with doing that.

Doesn't even need an expensive motherboard. DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.1. Should be able to run that monitor at 60hz through HDMI, DP is a little iffy.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DL...micro-atx-lga1700-motherboard-b760m-ds3h-ddr4

i7-12700k are pretty cheap, but considering that a 7700k is out performed by an i3-12100 but you still want UHD770 graphics, then the 12600K is the cheapest CPU with that at the moment.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($175.71 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $268.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-31 10:39 EDT-0400

You can of course spend more on the motherboard if you want.

But cheap DDR5 is about $90 for 32GB, so something to keep in mind.

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
Yes, the more I look around the more it seems likely I will have to go for "modern" technology. I tried looking at some older chipsets e.g. Z590, which appears to be capable for what I need and supports DDR4 memory, but motherboards are selling for over a £1000, when the Z790 is around half that. No idea why older technology should be so much more expensive, unless it's simply down to lack of availability (supply and demand).
heres what i would do in your case, 12900k is about 300 bucks new and used, i would pair that with a 6900xt to top it off and 32 gigs minimum ram. leaves you room for an upgrade, it also depends on the games you what to play. also if you cant afford that really you might want to look at 1440p gaming since 4k requires a verry high end system

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
What is the make/model of the monitor that you are considering?
In particular, what inputs can it take.
UHD 770 on, for example the I9-13900K can support any of those resolutions at a 60hz refresh rate:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-36m-cache-up-to-5-80-ghz/specifications.html

Intel 13th gen motherboards still support DDR4 ram .
Performance is similar to DDR5.
I haven't got a particular monitor selected yet, but given I'm not a gamer and my current 38" IPS monitor runs at 60 Hz, I don't see this refresh being a problem for me. Most 49" 5K monitors I've looked at have a resolution of 5120 x 1440 at a minimum of 60 Hz and they all seem to include thunderbolt usb-c connections.

I know you are saying the i9-13900k is capable of that refresh, and I would be happy with that processor, or even something older, however, it seems that the motherboard is the limiting factor. For example, looking at the latest Gigabyte Z790 range of motherboards, of which there are many, only the AORUS EXTREME X and above, which is only 2 or 3 motherboards, support a 5120 x 2880 resolution through thunderbolt. So, despite all the many other Gigabyte Z790 motherboards being available they are no good based on their specs.

I've also just realised the Z790 AORUS EXTREME X is way out of my price point at over £1k!!!!!

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
Intel's current newest socket supports DDR4, nothing wrong with doing that.

Doesn't even need an expensive motherboard. DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.1. Should be able to run that monitor at 60hz through HDMI, DP is a little iffy.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DL...micro-atx-lga1700-motherboard-b760m-ds3h-ddr4

i7-12700k are pretty cheap, but considering that a 7700k is out performed by an i3-12100 but you still want UHD770 graphics, then the 12600K is the cheapest CPU with that at the moment.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($175.71 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $268.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-31 10:39 EDT-0400

You can of course spend more on the motherboard if you want.

But cheap DDR5 is about $90 for 32GB, so something to keep in mind.
Looking at the first motherboard you linked to Gigabyte B760M DS3H, the spec. suggests it is restricted to a maximum of 4096@2304@60Hz, so not sure where you are getting your info from.

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
I'm beginning to wonder if a reasonably priced motherboard (under £400) exists that provides onboard graphics capable of 5120 x 1440 @ 60 Hz. I'm not seeing a Gigabyte board, so may need to widen my search to other manufacturers.

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
I'm beginning to wonder if a reasonably priced motherboard (under £400) exists that provides onboard graphics capable of 5120 x 1440 @ 60 Hz. I'm not seeing a Gigabyte board, so may need to widen my search to other manufacturers.
prob so but if not your prob gonna need a gpu

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at the first motherboard you linked to Gigabyte B760M DS3H, the spec. suggests it is restricted to a maximum of 4096@2304@60Hz, so not sure where you are getting your info from.
As mentioned earlier, that is only a guideline. Max resolution is actually determined by bandwidth.

True 5K is 5120x2880, or 22.18 Gbit/s. You are at half that or about 11 Gbit/s. Regular UHD(4K) is 12.4 Gbps.

Shouldn't be any issue running that resolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
prob so but if not your prob gonna need a gpu
Yes, that may end up being a cheaper way to build it, but I really don't want a noisy GPU if I can avoid it. I could also just add a GPU to my current build, but thought I should also try to get onto Windows 11 as part of this project. It would be a lot cheaper to simply add a GPU to my current machine and stay on Windows 10 as Microsoft appear to want me to, but I potentially have the same issue - a noisier machine!

Reactions: jordanbuilds1

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
Yes, that may end up being a cheaper way to build it, but I really don't want a noisy GPU if I can avoid it. I could also just add a GPU to my current build, but thought I should also try to get onto Windows 11 as part of this project. It would be a lot cheaper to simply add a GPU to my current machine and stay on Windows 10 as Microsoft appear to want me to, but I potentially have the same issue - a noisier machine!
well like eximo said, the resolution is mesured by bandwidth, but what type of work are you doing because it could depend

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In further research. UHD 600 series chips had trouble running horizontal resolutions higher than 4096, not a limitation of the hardware, but the driver. Registry edits to Windows were able to correct this, or installing the latest version of the Intel Command Center to set the resolution that way.

Something like the Custom Resolution Utility may also help there.

I can find no such issues with the 700 series or Iris Xe and Arc based graphics chips.

7700K is a bit too old to have enough bandwidth though since it is limited to 24hz 4K and only has the HD630 GPU.

milleniumaire

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
Sorry guys, I'm really confused now. Despite the spec. of a motherboard stating the onboard graphics is restricted to a maximum of say 4096x2304@60Hz, you seem to be saying this is only a guideline and it is the processor that determines the resolution. I don't understand this.

For confirmation, I do NOT want to install a GPU if I can help it, so the monitor resolution will be determined by the graphics chip on the motherboard. Surely, the specs. would not state a lower resolution when a higher resolution was possible!

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
Sorry guys, I'm really confused now. Despite the spec. of a motherboard stating the onboard graphics is restricted to a maximum of say 4096x2304@60Hz, you seem to be saying this is only a guideline and it is the processor that determines the resolution. I don't understand this.

For confirmation, I do NOT want to install a GPU if I can help it, so the monitor resolution will be determined by the graphics chip on the motherboard. Surely, the specs. would not state a lower resolution when a higher resolution was possible!
you might want to look at mini pcs if thats the case, im not completley sure if thats true but if so (since im not super into graphics), a gpu is your best bet.

Latest posts