Motherboard with NVME Socket 1151

aristar

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Hey,
I'm looking to build a new system with the i7-6700k and want to have use m.2 hard drives (something like Samsung 950) because I've heard they are faster than regular SSD's.

I'd like to get two of them installed to run them in raid 0.

Now the question is which motherboard can I use that has 2 m.2 ports available? Please note I also need 2xPCIe ports for gtx1080s and another for an asus PCE-ac68

I can spend max $600 or so on the motherboard, but less is always better.

Solution
It does state:

The M.2_1 socket shares SATA ports with SATA6G_56; the M.2_2 socket shares
bandwidth with U.2 connector, and shares SATA ports with SATA6G_12 when using
SATA mode. When you use both connectors, the system automatically detects the devices
connected to these connectors and set a higher priority to M.2 Socket 3 than SATA
interface. You can adjust the BIOS settings to set the priority.

Someone else will need to address this.

The PCIe slots are fine I think, as the first two both run together at x16 each.

aristar

Commendable
May 22, 2016

Damn, that's an amazing site.

I think I'm going with: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-WS/

Is there anyway to find out if with 2x m.2 SSD's + 2x GTX1080 + 1x PCE-AC68 am I creating some sort of bottleneck for PCI channels?

It does state:

The M.2_1 socket shares SATA ports with SATA6G_56; the M.2_2 socket shares
bandwidth with U.2 connector, and shares SATA ports with SATA6G_12 when using
SATA mode. When you use both connectors, the system automatically detects the devices
connected to these connectors and set a higher priority to M.2 Socket 3 than SATA
interface. You can adjust the BIOS settings to set the priority.

Someone else will need to address this.

The PCIe slots are fine I think, as the first two both run together at x16 each.

Solution
I think you might want to go to an X99 board due to the extra lanes. I question the benefit of having two NVMe drives in RAID 0. I'm removing myself as the solution so that you can get some more help with this. If not, you may need to start a separate thread.

TRENDING THREADS