Question Motherboard Won’t boot with CPU (Ryzen 5 3600x on msi b450 gaming plus max)

Jun 4, 2020
I am a bit of a newbie and need help. I am building a system that won’t boot when the CPU is on the motherboard. It gets no power - no lights, fan movement, or anything. It is just dead. But as soon as I remove the CPU, everything lights up. It makes no difference what other components are installed. If they are there, they light up too.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard: MSI b450 gaming plus max
PSU: Corsair CX650M

the power supply seems fine (tested with a multimeter).

from what o gather, the motherboard is compatible with the CPU and the max version that I have supports the new generation of AMD without a bios flash, although I tried that too.

is it likely now that the CPU was DOA? Or is there something else to try?

I am a bit of a newbie and need help. I am building a system that won’t boot when the CPU is on the motherboard. It gets no power - no lights, fan movement, or anything. It is just dead. But as soon as I remove the CPU, everything lights up. It makes no difference what other components are installed. If they are there, they light up too.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard: MSI b450 gaming plus max
PSU: Corsair CX650M

the power supply seems fine (tested with a multimeter).

from what o gather, the motherboard is compatible with the CPU and the max version that I have supports the new generation of AMD without a bios flash, although I tried that too.

is it likely now that the CPU was DOA? Or is there something else to try?

Have you made sure everything is plugged in correctly and is the CPU seated properly in the right orientation?

Jun 4, 2020
Have you made sure everything is plugged in correctly and is the CPU seated properly in the right orientation?
Thank you for the post... yes, I have. I'm pretty sure that the only thing left is a DOA CPU. I'm able to get lights on the motherboard with ONLY the power supply plugged in. As soon as I put the CPU on the motherboard and try again, I get absolutely nothing. No lights or indication of power at all. I called AMD and they confirmed that this motherboard doesn't require a BIOS update, although I did that anyway. They seem to think that it may be a bad CPU also and I'm going to try an RMA. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thank you for the post... yes, I have. I'm pretty sure that the only thing left is a DOA CPU. I'm able to get lights on the motherboard with ONLY the power supply plugged in. As soon as I put the CPU on the motherboard and try again, I get absolutely nothing. No lights or indication of power at all. I called AMD and they confirmed that this motherboard doesn't require a BIOS update, although I did that anyway. They seem to think that it may be a bad CPU also and I'm going to try an RMA. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Are you sure you put the CPU in the right way? It can be confusing on Zen as the writing is sideways when you put it in.

Jun 4, 2020
I just looked again. It actually only fits in one way. And it has arrows (triangles really) on both the CPU and the socket that align. So I am pretty sure that it is correct.

Might want to clear/reset CMOS as well if/when a new CPU is installed...

(remove all power from rear of PSU, CMOS battery, press/hold PWR switch for 10-20 seconds, reinstall battery...; be sure to give mainboard a full minute or two to possibly detect new CPU...)

Jun 4, 2020
OMG. This PC is going to be the death of me! We replaced the CPU and tested with it out of the case. It worked! So the CPU was definitely bad. So then we put RAM and SSD on the board and tested. It worked... we put the board in the case and tested again... it worked. All good so far... but then we put the video card into the PCIe slot and plugged it into the power supply. When we tried to start it up, there was smoke and it flashed power, then died. It seems that we blew the CPU again. The motherboard seems okay and we can start it up without the CPU but not with it. Is it possible that the video card did that? Maybe too much power for the board? Bad video card? Could I have done something wrong with the video card? Help!!! LOL

Jun 4, 2020
Just closing this out, I did an RMA on the motherboard, RAM, CPU and PSU. Starting from scratch seemed to resolve it, but I still don't know exactly what was going on. But it works :)