[SOLVED] Motherboard won’t go past bios

Apr 5, 2020
Hey there,

I was recently given a used MSI Tomahawk Arctic by a friend. Installed CPU/brand new GPU/brand new RAM/brand new EVGA PSY, everything posted fine and was able to edit bios fine. However, whenever any storage device is plugged in, the computer crashes after about 10sec of trying to access it.

For example, when bootable windows usb drive is plugged in, windows logo loads for about 10sec and PC goes black. Same thing for HDD. However, if either devices are plugged in, the board functions perfectly in bios until you go to boot.

In what seems to be a short(?), I’ve already unplugged everything not necessary(gpu, fans, 1 stick ram), resetting cmos and am pretty much out of ideas. Bad Mobo?

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic
CPU: i5-6600k
Ram: Corsair vengeance ddr4-3000
GPU: GTX 1660 super

Solution
Think the Mobo is bad. Tried as you said and ran it out of the case as well as tried a new PSU.

Since you've tried another PSU, then it's the motherboard most likely... that's also the only used component in your build.

Unfortunately the only way to test is to run the sytem on a known good board.
I haven’t yet actually, I looked at standoffs and they all seemed to mount fine, so didn’t think it was worth it. It’s a new EVGA 600 bronze

I need the exact model... there are more than 1 80+ bronze EVGA PSUs.

Try it outside the case and with the bare minimums... you can run without the 1660 super, the i5 6600k has it's own iGPU(motherboard video outputs).

Apr 5, 2020
That's a mediocre unit, it's not terrible... considering your system doesn't draw that much power it should be fine.

Try doing what I've posted in my previous comment(it's updated).
Think the Mobo is bad. Tried as you said and ran it out of the case as well as tried a new PSU.