[SOLVED] Motherboard won’t power on from on board button or front panel power button

Oct 13, 2019
I recently completed a hard lined tubing build that has been on air for the last 2 years or so. When I completed it last night and had my loop ran for about 4 hours, the thing wouldn’t turn on. I cleared the cmos with the button on the IO and pressed the power button pretty hard again and it turned on.

So I put the rig back in my office and plugged everything in and pressed that power button again( pretty hard) and it came alive. I tested it and played some games for the next hour or so. I slept the machine and went to bed.

Woke up this morning trying to wake my PC and couldn’t. Hitting my keyboard did nothing. Pressing the power switch didn’t wake it up either. So I turned it off from the PSU and now it won’t boot at all.

The on board power button, reset button, and safe mode button don’t even work. I tried unplugging the front panel pins and shorting out the MoBo on Pins 3 and 4 of the top row and that won’t work either. Strangely enough, the motherboards RGB lights up perfectly fine and is cycling the colors as we speak.

I unseated the ram. No POST. Unplugged the boot drive and still no POST. I have been building PCs for the last 10 years and watercooling for the last 5. I have never ran into this before as I don’t think my motherboard died over night as it receives power no problem and is cycling the rgb. Usually on a dead mobo this wouldn’t happen either. I’m at a loss and wanted to reach out to see if anyone had idea

CPU: Ryzen 1700
MoBo: Asus Crosshair Hero 6 WiFi
Gpu: EVGA 1080ti FTW3
Ram: Trident Z RGB 16gb 3000mhz
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 650

Last edited:
Solution
Try testing with the CPU power cable removed. Start the board by shorting the 2 pins. If case fans not spinning, try clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for a minute). If still no go, it could be a dead board.
Oct 13, 2019
It could be the power supply. Can you test different one?

Yeah I checked with another one and the problem is still there. I’ve had to RMA this board in the past and I’m thinking I will have to do so again. The onboard power button doesn’t work neither does the safe mode. I breadboarded last night and nothing worked.

Try testing with the CPU power cable removed. Start the board by shorting the 2 pins. If case fans not spinning, try clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for a minute). If still no go, it could be a dead board.

Solution
Oct 13, 2019
Yeah I tried that and unfortunately nothing. I tried the clear cmos button and took out the battery too. Currently sending it in for RMA, sad to be out of a system for a month..