Question Motherboard won’t power up if I use mounting screws?

Jamessssss

Prominent
May 28, 2020
Hello,

Sorry for the long title.

I am having a rather weird issue which I assume has something to do with grounding?

I’m running a mining rig with a metal chassis. The system will not power up, unless I push quite firmly down on the motherboard where the main mobo power connector is and then it fires up and works until I let go.

I understand this is not good practise to do but does this explain what is causing the problem? I see sparks below the power connector underneath the mobo as it touches the chassis and everything powers up. Then I let go and it stops working.

Any ideas guys?

Kind Regards,
James

Jamessssss

Prominent
May 28, 2020
Ok obviously I should be using my mounting screws but I have just attempted to fire up my mobo which lays flat on my crypto frame which is metal and it fires up fine. If I use the mounting screws it won’t start at all. Please can someone explain what is going on. What is the problem. What is causing this? Is it dangerous to not use the mounting screws and lay the mobo on my metal chassis which is flat and the mobo stays flat?

Last edited:

Jamessssss

Prominent
May 28, 2020
I did wonder the screws don’t seem to quite touch the outer ring on the top of the mobo but they s ren in the bras type mobo lifters perfect. I only seemed to get some thin topped Allen key screws I did wonder, this could be the issue? I’ve since tried the Mobo ok cardboard and everything a
Fine? It isn’t won’t work when when screws in the chassis