[SOLVED] Motherboard won`t work with my gpu

Mar 14, 2020
Hi guys, so basically im a pc flipper and recently i ran into some issues with a pc i have. The problem is that the pc wont boot with my gtx 1050 but it does work with a old gt 640 and the onboard graphics,i tested the gpu in another pc,i updated the bios to the latest version, installed all the latest drivers, reset the cmos and used a diffrent power supply. i have no idea why the pc wont boot with the gtx 1050, cause i worked with the same mobo before and everything went perfectly fine, but what weird is that when the gtx 1050 is installed the onboard graphics will still work somehow.

the specs:

CPU: i5 2310
Mobo: MSI H61M-P31/W8
GPU: KFA2 GTX1050 2GB
RAM: 2X4 GB DDR3

thankyou guys!

Solution
my gut is telling me that is a power supply issue. what powersupply is it? if its really old like 150w or something, it might not be able to supply enough power for the gpu

another thing it might be is that the 1050 requires no dedicated power. so maybe the motherboard in the system cant handle supplying enough power for a modern card over pcie. i may be wrong on that one tho, just a guess.

finally, if you have another system (preferably modern) maybe test the 1050 in that and make sure it works :)

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
my gut is telling me that is a power supply issue. what powersupply is it? if its really old like 150w or something, it might not be able to supply enough power for the gpu

another thing it might be is that the 1050 requires no dedicated power. so maybe the motherboard in the system cant handle supplying enough power for a modern card over pcie. i may be wrong on that one tho, just a guess.

finally, if you have another system (preferably modern) maybe test the 1050 in that and make sure it works :)

Solution
I have to agree that this sounds like a power issue. The PCIe slot should give plenty of power for your card, but it seems it isn't. Only other thought is the card is not seating all the way into the slot. I had that issue recently due to a case required the card to line up perfectly.

You said you reset the BIOS (pulled the battery?) ... I would still go into the BIOS setting and select reset to default settings.

Bottom line ... it should work, but that does not always mean it will work.