Motherboard wont boot

Oftenneedshelp

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
My computer was working a few days ago, put it to sleep, then i came back to find it was turned off. I thought it was the power supply but no such luck, as i have installed a new one. My graphics card is showing LED, as is the front of my case. Im confused, as this would mean power would be running through my motherboard, so i am not sure why it will not boot. Can anyone please offer a solution?

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
ensure all cables are seated firmly.

Ensure the PSU switch is on (I know sounds stupid but I have done this myself)

Try resetting the CMOS. There is often times a button you can use to reset this on the back I/O plate.

Check to see if there are any lights on, on the motherboard when the PSU is turned on, but the PC is off. Modern MBs will have indication lights that the board has some power reaching it.

Oftenneedshelp

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

There is a light on the front of the case that goes on, and stays on for a little after the psu is switched off

Do this.

Take a paperclip and jumper the green wire on the 24pin power of the PSU to any black wire.
If the PC turns on then the problem is either your Power Button on your case, or the motherboard itself.

If you are getting the power light on the motherboard then your PSU is plugged in and switch is on.

Now the powerlight on your motherboard in no way means that you are getting correct power or that your motherboard is working properly. Only that on one specific wire it sees enough voltage to turn that light on.

Oftenneedshelp

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

There is no green wire on the 24 pin connector, and there is no light showing on the motherboard like there normally is