Question Motherboard Won't Post

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I have a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard.

Today, I went to upgrade the graphics card driver. It looked like the installer had failed so I ended the task.
As I went to restart, the screen flickered and the windows "disconnected" sound played.

When restarting, the PC went into a repair mode. It failed to do that so I tried to start in Safe Mode. It couldn't even do that.

I attempted to reset Windows from the cloud but it couldn't do that.

Turned the PC off using the "Shut Down PC" option in recovery but when booting up again, the PC didn't even post.

Have disconnected the graphics card and hard drives but still no luck. No beeping, no nothing. The fans turn around though.

I've disconnected the CMOS battery and re-seated the ram and made sure the processor is connected properly. Just waiting a few more minutes before booting up again.

If it doesn't post again, is this a new motherboard job?

EDIT: Didn't post. I connected the graphics card to another slot but the fans don't spin there anymore. Guess something is really fubar with it?

Last edited:

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
It seems fine?

How would I know if it isn't (I don't have any others to test at the moment).

Tested with a multi meter, all okay on the PSU front (learnt something new there!).

Tested the connectors to the graphics card, three are 12v, the three opposite are 0 and the two extra ones are both 0.

I'm hoping the motherboard simply isn't giving the graphics card an instruction to start.

Last edited:

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Okay, so I swapped the motherboard and it posted!
But then when I went through the setup for Windows, I thought I'd do a local repair instead. It gave the option to shut down, which I did.

Now when I turn the PC back on, it's back to not posting again.

The graphics card isn't working as the motherboard isn't telling it to power on (the fans aren't spinning) and despite having HDMI out, it doesn't use it whether the graphics card is seated or not.

So now I'm back to square one again.

Any suggestions?

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Update:

Loosened the heat sink off the old graphics card (apart from the warranty screw!) and re-seated it.

Went out for a few hours.

Came back and put it back in the PC on the odd chance it would work. It worked!

Now just re-setting Windows.

However, happy to hear any pointers on what it could have been. A hard one.

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
They were identical but Windows had corrupted somewhere and wanted fresh install anyway.

However, this evening the same thing has happened. The PC was "slept" and not long after it turned off, something has awoken it. Turn the monitor on, no signal.
Wireless keyboard and mouse that are set not to wake the PC so no go there. Plugged a keyboard in, no power being fed to it (num lock light not illuminating).
Plugged in some USB headphones, but no display there either. I was hoping to force the PC to start telling me something was plugged in.

Push and hold the power button, nothing happens. Push it for a couple of seconds, nothing happens.

The only way I could get the PC to turn off / do anything was turning the plug off at the back of the machine.

Turned it on again, no blue light round the power switch, no motherboard light either.

Something is definately up with this machine but it seems to work sometimes, not others? It's been fine sleeping and booting for the past couple of weeks...

Processor on the blink?
I will try and take it out / reseat it tomorrow before booting.

nation888

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
I have a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard.

Today, I went to upgrade the graphics card driver. It looked like the installer had failed so I ended the task.
As I went to restart, the screen flickered and the windows "disconnected" sound played.

When restarting, the PC went into a repair mode. It failed to do that so I tried to start in Safe Mode. It couldn't even do that.

I attempted to reset Windows from the cloud but it couldn't do that.

Turned the PC off using the "Shut Down PC" option in recovery but when booting up again, the PC didn't even post.

Have disconnected the graphics card and hard drives but still no luck. No beeping, no nothing. The fans turn around though.

I've disconnected the CMOS battery and re-seated the ram and made sure the processor is connected properly. Just waiting a few more minutes before booting up again.

If it doesn't post again, is this a new motherboard job?

EDIT: Didn't post. I connected the graphics card to another slot but the fans don't spin there anymore. Guess something is really fubar with it?
My motherboard wouldn't post. Checked each component and this is what I found out. When I reinstalled the water cooling grill, it pushed the memory levers down releasing partially the memory from the slots. The cpu fan connector and psu plugs were all correct, I couldn't see everytime I reinserted the grill would pop the memory out. Make sure both the CPU and Motherboard PSU cables are connected all the way.