Motherboard wont recognize hard drive or cd drive.

Jusscurio

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
I just got all the parts in for my PC today. I put everything together and when I turn on the computer it doesnt see the sata hard drive I have or the sata cd drive. But when I put my old hard drive (IDE) and cd drive (IDE) it sees those. I checked the BIOS and sata is enabled. I tried to use my old hard drive to log onto windows cause the motherboard says a sata hard drive needs a copies of windows installed or something on it but it wont boot windows even though the motherboard recognizes it.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard
Western Digital 320 GB hard drive
The CD drive is some OEM drive but I don't really care about that right now since my old cd drive is working on it right now. I just want to get the motherboard to see the hard drive.

grimskull

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Hiya

you said the SATA is enabled in the BIOS, hae you built the RAID setup after you enabled RAID in the BIOS? To do this, have the motherboard manual at hand, when the PC boots up you should see alot of writing on the screen, consult you manual for the key stoke configuration to get into the RIAD set up screen (e.g tab + f, CTRL + F, CTRL +I) in there you can assign the RIAD drives to each RAID set up. When you have it setup the PC will restart. If you want to install Win XP on the SATA drives you might need a floppy disc containing the RAID install drivers, press F6 on Win XP setup and follow on screen instructions. Try that and let us know how you get on.