Motherboard won't recognize hard drives.

Shatner64

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
Hello all!

I just recently completed a new system build. Unfortunately, I have run into a snag. My motherboard is not detecting the hard drives I have installed!

I have quadruple checked, all the SATA power and data cables are properly attached. My optical drive seems to be working fine no matter which SATA port I use. I have tried using the same cables from the optical drive on all the other drives- no change.

Are some older drives not compatible with new motherboards?

System specs: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Extreme Gaming Edition, 2x8 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4, Intel i7 6700K processor, 250GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 30GB OCZ Agility SSD, 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HDD.

Any help would be great, I am completely stumped.

Solution
What OS version you had, and what you got now?

I dont think it's a power supply issue.
Try to update firmware and BIOS on your hardware.
Try to connect and test only one SATA drive in one time connected to PC to 1st SATA slot.
Try to connect it with diffrent SATA cables: SATA-II or SATA-III.
If you will find AHCI | IDE | RAID switch in bios/Setup and when you will switch from one to another option save settings, reboot PC, and then try to power off your PC. Then check is your drive recognized.

Shatner64

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
Unfortunately, I have literally gone through the entire BIOS looking for a way to get these drives to show themselves.

I have switched back and forth from AHCI and RAID (these drives were never in that configuration in the other machine they were in, but why not)- still nothing.

There must be power going to the drives. I have tested all the corrsponding cables and SATA ports using the optical drive. They all seem to work fine. The optical drive always shows up.

Perhaps some older hard drives (like mine) are just not compatible with these newer boards.

dawciobiel

Honorable
Mar 5, 2016
What OS version you had, and what you got now?

I dont think it's a power supply issue.
Try to update firmware and BIOS on your hardware.
Try to connect and test only one SATA drive in one time connected to PC to 1st SATA slot.
Try to connect it with diffrent SATA cables: SATA-II or SATA-III.
If you will find AHCI | IDE | RAID switch in bios/Setup and when you will switch from one to another option save settings, reboot PC, and then try to power off your PC. Then check is your drive recognized.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS