Feb 4, 2022
Hello!

Specs
CPU: Intel i5 12600k
Motherboard: MSI Z690-A DDR4
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 m.2 500gb
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X
PSU: Corsair vx550w (I have a Corsair 750x on the way as I suspect this is killing my components)
Chassis: Thermaltake Versa N27 ATX
Monitor: ROG Strix XG35VQ

I just ordered an MSI Z690-A and got it in the mail today. I built the system outside of the case, with just CPU and ram, and plugged in the 24 pin motherboard and 8 pin cpu power cables. I was able to successfully get it to boot, CPU fan spun, and the debug lights came on, solid green. It shut off for a second and then came back on and seemed to be working. I then shut off the PSU and disconnected the cables, installed it into my case, plugged back in only the CPU and motherboard power cables... and nothing at all. No fan, no light, no EZ debug light. Took it back out, removed everything except the cpu and ram, and now it wont even boot outside of the case. No sign of life at all.

Sad thing is, I bought this motherboard to replace an old one that was doing the same thing, absolutely no power. Leading up to the death of the old board, the computer would randomly shut off, eventually never turning back on. Could my PSU be functioning, passing the paperclip test, but also killing my old and now new components?

Also, is it likely that whatever happened to the motherboard also killed my CPU, RAM, and or GPU? Im really scared that whatever I did might have killed all my components.

Any advice at all would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
You used your friend psu cables, not yours?
Sorry mate. It happens.

Last try:
Remove cmos battery, get it back;
Replace cmos battery;
Check motherboard capacitors, maybe some of them are distorted;
Try with one stick of ram;
When you correctly plug, wait few minutes and then press start;
Maybe your pc case cables are bad and causing problem;

I really hope something from list will solve the problem.

Tried all of the above steps, nothing worked unfortunately. I got a new board and installed it, everything works properly now. Going to chalk it up as a DOA mobo. Used the new PSU and everything works fine. I'm still curious as to if the old PSU is the culprit, but so far everything its well with the new PSU.

Thanks everyone for...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How are you cooling that processor? You might want to inspect the case for it's standoffs since some people tend to either place them in the wrong positions or not have them to create a short, which could explain what you're going through.

Also, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Reactions: niner9er
Feb 4, 2022
@Litfij I'm using a Noctua NH-U12S Redux, I used the back plate and mountain brackets, but I suppose I could have installed it incorrectly. Could that be shorting the motherboard?

As for standoffs, my case only has 6 instead of 9. But, it wont even start on a cardboard box, so its not a standoff issue I don't think

Could my PSU be functioning, passing the paperclip test, but also killing my old and now new components?
It is possible.
Also, is it likely that whatever happened to the motherboard also killed my CPU, RAM, and or GPU?
Again, it is possible. Hard to tell how likely, but you should be prepared for some of those components to be no longer functioning.
Of course it is also possible you just got bad mobo that failed after first boot. Happens too.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I've tried with my friends PSU, and the board still acts dead. No ez debug lights, fans, nothing.
Sorry mate. It happens.

Last try:
Replace cmos battery;

Feb 4, 2022
Sorry mate. It happens.

Last try:
Replace cmos battery;

Tried all of the above steps, nothing worked unfortunately. I got a new board and installed it, everything works properly now. Going to chalk it up as a DOA mobo. Used the new PSU and everything works fine. I'm still curious as to if the old PSU is the culprit, but so far everything its well with the new PSU.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: vladakv
Solution