Motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:42e01c0c$1$337
$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

>> Yep yep! And the DoD
>
> "Department of" ... "Disease"? "Death"? "Deading"? "Dilemas"?

Yep, it does all those things. ;)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:25:38 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> Department of Defense

IOW, "Department of Penpushers".

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

> Actually leaving components on is not detrimental. I leave all my
> machines on 24/7/365 excluding during bad lightning. It is the
> initial start that is harder on components.
>
> Quixote

Cool, I won't worry about it anymore!! :)

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> When you turn them on, you suddenly heat them up, and that causes all
> the connections to rapidly expand. That causes mechanical stress, and
> eventually the component fails. Newer stuff is less sensitive to
> this, but it still takes a toll.

I learn new stuff all the time! :)

> Newer stuff is also designed to be "green", meaning it goes into low
> power mode when left unused for awhile. Monitors switch off the tube,
> CPU's drop to a fraction of their speed, hard disks spin down. You
> can control how agressive that is from the Power Management control
> in Windows Control Panel.

Yup. Most of the boxes in mine are checked "Never". LOL

Mr K wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:25:38 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
>
>> Department of Defense
>
> IOW, "Department of Penpushers".

No no, Department of (Warmongering) Dunderheads.

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:07:59 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Some people are hell-bent on shutting stuff down, though. I've seen it
>> time and again, even when you, as an admin, ask everyone to leave
>> systems up so they can do after-hour scans and run scripts and
>> whatnot, people will still switch off the node their on at the end of
>> the business day.
>
>That's what Wake-on-Lan is for. Make sure it's enabled in the BIOS, and dig
>up a script to send the magic packet to wake them up a few minutes before
>you need to remote to them.

I always thought that was Quake on Lan, and I was like, "Duh! Quake
rules on LAN! Everyone knows that."

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

>>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:07:15 -0500, "Smeghead"
>>> <tribesfan@hotmail.com> said:

tirbesfan> [ ... ] I helped an older guy at the Gulfport Armed
tribesfan> Forces Retirement Home build an Athlon64 3200+ system
tribesfan> last fall. [ ... ] When I asked him why he wanted a
tribesfan> 64 bit system, he honestly replied that it was for
tribesfan> bragging rights. He just wanted to have the fastest
tribesfan> computer in the Home. :) Must be nice to be retired!

I guess that it can be nice on a government, executive or UAW
pension. Otherwise, it may be a less nice Wal*Mart ''retirement''.
:)

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:38:10 +0100, pg_nh@0506.exp.sabi.co.UK (Peter
Grandi) wrote:

>tirbesfan> [ ... ] I helped an older guy at the Gulfport Armed
>tribesfan> Forces Retirement Home build an Athlon64 3200+ system
>tribesfan> last fall. [ ... ] When I asked him why he wanted a
>tribesfan> 64 bit system, he honestly replied that it was for
>tribesfan> bragging rights. He just wanted to have the fastest
>tribesfan> computer in the Home. :) Must be nice to be retired!
>
>I guess that it can be nice on a government, executive or UAW
>pension. Otherwise, it may be a less nice Wal*Mart ''retirement''.
>:)

Hehehe, yeah, that's true. Not all retirments are created equal.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

On 22 Jul 2005 07:15:10 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> No no, Department of (Warmongering) Dunderheads.

Aye, penpushers. They who never see frontline action, yet are willing to
send people to war.

For a good cause... obviously.

--

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e1f465_6
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> You should know better than to get me started........

And now the pinheads in the House have been stampeded by the latest
bombings to renew the "Patriot" Act. Reminds me of Jackson's Alien and
Sedition Act that we learned about back in grade school. "But Henny Penny,
the *sky* is falling!"

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:07:38 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> I like the fact that the SO19 armed police in London have "shoot to
> kill" orders for anyone (bomber) that does not comply to subduing
> action.

Just remember... no wearing a backpack in the UK, otherwise you're at risk
of being shot.

> Man, I love the English.

Yeah, we're great. :/

> Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
> border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.

I beg to differ.

--

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:43:35 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:07:38 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> I like the fact that the SO19 armed police in London have "shoot to
>> kill" orders for anyone (bomber) that does not comply to subduing
>> action.
>
>Just remember... no wearing a backpack in the UK, otherwise you're at risk
>of being shot.

A backpack and turban combo is probably right out!

>> Man, I love the English.
>
>Yeah, we're great. :/

Well... yeah. Modest too. :)

>> Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>> border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>
>I beg to differ.

Begging is unseemly. Just flat out disagree!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:37:10 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> A backpack and turban combo is probably right out!

Given the police's latest escapades, only the backpack counts.

> Well... yeah. Modest too. :)

Sarcasm doesn't transmit well over ASCII. :/

--

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e1f465_6
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> You should know better than to get me started........
>
> And now the pinheads in the House have been stampeded by the latest
> bombings to renew the "Patriot" Act. Reminds me of Jackson's Alien and
> Sedition Act that we learned about back in grade school. "But Henny
> Penny, the *sky* is falling!"

I almost blew a gasket when they passed it. Our founding
fathers are spinning in their graves.

On 25 Jul 2005 08:40:02 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Ooh, that matches the twins' drunken escapades just fine! LOL

That's the problem with being in the public eye these days, you're
scrutinised for anything.

> Oh! Harry in the Nazi uniform! Yes, that made quite a few
> headlines here, as well. It would have been fine for any other
> young man,

Hmm.

> but a *prince*?!?!? Silly Harry!!

The great Eddie Izzard did a fine routine about inbreeding royals... and
how the IQ levels plummet. :)

> And even the bogus bomb made the news here- all things
> royal family are of interest, since there are so very many Diana
> fans here.

There's a couple over here too, including a certain loon called
"M.A.Fayed".

> Thank you. :eek:} Pisses me off, though, since I pay for
> this news service. Grrrrrrrr...........

That's bad. :(

> You won't know until you peek under your bed, will ya?

There's not much under my bed anyway, apart from drawers. :)

--

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in

> Unlike the cordial treatment these "unlawful combatants" give to their
> hostages. I think its starting to get a little messy in here with all
> the bleeding hearts personally. I would be for treating them like
> they would treat those they capture, chop off their heads. Don't
> forget we are dealing with people who cannot begin to fathom
> whatsoever the ideas of justice and rights that we share, and don't
> forget you are nothing to them but a ticket to heaven...

A nice, short article on the subject here:

http://harrybrowne.org/articles/TortureUse.htm

The issue is not whether to use torture, but the establishment of guilt.
And *that* process has been muddied when people used inappropriate means to
acquire evidence and the courts punished the evidence, not the people who
acquired it (who were protected behind badges).

Randy Graham <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in

>>Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>>border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>
> I suspect, in fact, it would be even less secure. "Ahh, that border's
> secure - the English are watching it - they're our friends, you know?"
>
> Yes, we Americans are a moronically trusting nation.

Given that we now have all the problems listed in the Declaration of
Independence as justification for throwing off Imperial Rule, we might as
well toss the Constitution in the dust bin of history and reapply to be a
Colony. The experiment has failed. We're no more free now than we were
then.

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:31:02 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Randy Graham <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in
>
>>>Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>>>border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>>
>> I suspect, in fact, it would be even less secure. "Ahh, that border's
>> secure - the English are watching it - they're our friends, you know?"
>>
>> Yes, we Americans are a moronically trusting nation.
>
>Given that we now have all the problems listed in the Declaration of
>Independence as justification for throwing off Imperial Rule, we might as
>well toss the Constitution in the dust bin of history and reapply to be a
>Colony. The experiment has failed. We're no more free now than we were
>then.

Well, when Texas breaks away, I'm there! Any place with a fast-lane
execution policy can't be all that bad. :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Mr K wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2005 08:40:02 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>> You won't know until you peek under your bed, will ya?
>
> There's not much under my bed anyway, apart from drawers. :)

Hmmmm, in the UK, are drawers the wooden compartments
in a dresser, or underpants?

Here it can be either, so you either have a really cool platform
bed, or you toss your soiled undies under the bed. LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

> Okay, that was probably a little harsh, and I don't wish to get into
> an argument over politics. I believe war is a necessary evil and I
> for one am glad that we had an administration in place that did
> something to try and stop the enemy. Years and years of boycotts
> have not worked. If bombing these freaks off the face of the earth
> or keeping them in camps protects my children and grandchildren then
> I am all for it. I had to moan and groan about Clinton for 8 years,
> what goes around comes around I say. :^p
> Quixote

When Clinton lied, no one died.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message

>> Okay, that was probably a little harsh, and I don't wish to get into
>> an argument over politics. I believe war is a necessary evil and I
>> for one am glad that we had an administration in place that did
>> something to try and stop the enemy. Years and years of boycotts
>> have not worked. If bombing these freaks off the face of the earth
>> or keeping them in camps protects my children and grandchildren then
>> I am all for it. I had to moan and groan about Clinton for 8 years,
>> what goes around comes around I say. :^p
>> Quixote
>

> When Clinton lied, no one died.

Yes, Clinton was just too busy getting blow jobs to be concerned with
warnings of terrorist attacks from hijacked planes to do anything about it.
But man he could play that saxophone....

Quixote

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Randy Graham <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in
>
>>> Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>>> border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>>
>> I suspect, in fact, it would be even less secure. "Ahh, that
>> border's secure - the English are watching it - they're our friends,
>> you know?"
>>
>> Yes, we Americans are a moronically trusting nation.
>
> Given that we now have all the problems listed in the Declaration of
> Independence as justification for throwing off Imperial Rule, we
> might as well toss the Constitution in the dust bin of history and
> reapply to be a Colony. The experiment has failed. We're no more free
> now than we were then.

Amen! I concur, good sir.

On 26 Jul 2005 06:46:21 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Hmmmm, in the UK, are drawers the wooden compartments
> in a dresser, or underpants?

Both.

> Here it can be either, so you either have a really cool platform
> bed, or you toss your soiled undies under the bed. LOL

The former. :)

--

Mr K wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2005 06:46:21 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>
>> Hmmmm, in the UK, are drawers the wooden compartments
>> in a dresser, or underpants?
>
> Both.
>
>> Here it can be either, so you either have a really cool platform
>> bed, or you toss your soiled undies under the bed. LOL
>
> The former. :)

Good thing I'm tiny................ ;)

Quixote wrote:

> Unlike the cordial treatment these "unlawful combatants" give to their
> hostages. I think its starting to get a little messy in here with all the
> bleeding hearts personally. I would be for treating them like they would
> treat those they capture, chop off their heads.

The problem is, some of these folk are likely yokels picked up off the
street when they ran from US soldiers during a war. Or they might be, if
we ("the world at large") knew who they were. But we don't. We have to
trust folks who'd happily torture people for information, and quite
frankly I don't find them all that trustworthy.

> Don't forget we are dealing
> with people who cannot begin to fathom whatsoever the ideas of justice and
> rights that we share, and don't forget you are nothing to them but a ticket
> to heaven...

Like we have now, a guy who's admitted to shooting someone half a dozen
times, slitting his throat, then sticking a knife in his belly with a
note attached. Then he started taking potshots at police in an effort to
get killed.

He says he doesn't recognize the Dutch legal system. I don't want him to
die, I don't want him to be tortured, as that would make him a martyr
for other radical young folk. I want him to live out the remainder of
his life in a concrete box with the Dutch equivalent of Big Bubbah, and
see him die in disgrace at high age.
--
Frank