Captensomething

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
I got the pc from a machine shop and the entire mother board was covered in gunk but still functioning except the pci slot but I tried dipping it and scrubbing with a soft tooth brush but I put everything back together and now the pic isn’t turning on and I think it’s because I left the bios battery in it

USAFRet

Titan
I got the pc from a machine shop and the entire mother board was covered in gunk but still functioning except the pci slot but I tried dipping it and scrubbing with a soft tooth brush but I put everything back together and now the pic isn’t turning on and I think it’s because I left the bios battery in it
And this is why the whole backstory is important, and leads to...Why.

So you scrubbed it with....what?

Isn't turning on....what does it do, specifically?

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Submerging your motherboard in Isopropyl Alcohol will damage the thermal pads under the heatsinks.
Also if it is not 99-100% pure it can leave contaminants behind which could damage the CPU socket and RAM slots.
IMO you would be better off dipping a soft toothbrush in the Isopropyl and lightly scrubbing the areas you want to clean.

Captensomething

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
And this is why the whole backstory is important, and leads to...Why.

So you scrubbed it with....what?

Isn't turning on....what does it do, specifically?
With a tooth brush and isopropyl alcohol and now the whole system isn’t getting power the lights don’t turn on the fans don’t spin nothing happened when I press the button

Captensomething

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
I
Submerging your motherboard in Isopropyl Alcohol will damage the thermal pads under the heatsinks.
Also if it is not 99-100% pure it can leave contaminants behind which could damage the CPU socket and RAM slots.
IMO you would be better off dipping a soft toothbrush in the Isopropyl and lightly scrubbing the areas you want to clean.
never submerged it just poured a little on the area I was cleaning and let it dry after scrubbing

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would guess that you pouring the alcohol onto the board is the cause of your issue.
The Alcohol probably got into somewhere it shouldn't have.
You should have dipped the brush into the alcohol.
How long did you let it dry before you tried to use it?
You could try using a hair dryer to heat it up a bit and possibly remove any alcohol residue.

Captensomething

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
I would guess that you pouring the alcohol onto the board is the cause of your issue.
How long did you let it dry before you tried to use it?
You could try using a hair dryer to heat it up a bit and possibly remove any alcohol residue.
I waited about five hours before putting everything back together do you think it was because I left the battery in it when I was cleaning?

Captensomething

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
It was
Consumer-grade isopropyl alcohol can typically have up to 40% water in it. If that's the grade of IPA that you used, you didn't wait long enough to allow it to dry. A couple of days certainly would have been a good idea.

Or using anhydrous isopropyl alcohol, instead.....
50% and I left out on my porch for a little bit to let it get a little dryer