Motherboard's onboard audio not working

jmwrocker

Honorable
Aug 5, 2014
Hi all,

Im having an issue with my motherboard drivers, it appears. Im getting no audio from the back audio panel and the front of my case. Ive checked the playback devices and it says "not plugged in" for both "Headphones" and "Speakers". Ive been to the msi website, and downloaded and installed drivers many times with no luck. ive even re installed windows and nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I am assuming that you have the onboard sound enabled in the BIOS. Onboard sound chips used to be notorious for "going out". Before 2000 my guess is that 1/4 to 1/3 of all motherboards had non functioning sound chips. The solution was to add a sound card. It sounds to me like yours has gone bad. You should be able to pick up a sound card for under $10 that will cure the problem.

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I am assuming that you have the onboard sound enabled in the BIOS. Onboard sound chips used to be notorious for "going out". Before 2000 my guess is that 1/4 to 1/3 of all motherboards had non functioning sound chips. The solution was to add a sound card. It sounds to me like yours has gone bad. You should be able to pick up a sound card for under $10 that will cure the problem.

Solution