Motherboards, RAM, and CPU's

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
I've been posting in the CPU forum and getting advice to browse and learn (which is good of course). I'm going to build a PC and would appreciate advice and suggestions where possible. But first, let me say I'm having a hard time sorting the discussions about getting the right components from overclocking.

I know this board has a lot of dedicated enthusiasts who enjoy getting everything they can out of a machine. But I'm not there yet. I'm looking for information aimed at simply mating the right components together and avoiding making serious mistakes.

I wish this forum had a "Builder's Corner" or something like that instead of slicing everything up by component but maybe it really doesn't matter in the long run. Anyway, here's what I'm looking at getting...

DFI MB (Not sure if I'm going to buy SLI or not. Afraid if I don't, that will be where the graphics industry starts heading. Would buy it only to have it just in case.)

AMD FX-57, 55, or X2 4800 (I know I can overclock the 55. To me, getting the X2 would position me to have the right hardware when the software starts getting released that uses the dual core processing architecture)

1 gig of RAM (2x512...I've read this works best and that 2 gigs currently will overstress the system).

These seem to be the most critical components (and enough power of course). I plan on a case with two 120mm fans and a good heatsink for the CPU. The graphics card will be a 7800 GTX.

One more thing...going into this I thought what you did was pick out a good board for the CPU you planned on buying, then find the RAM that's designed for it. Put it all together and get it properly configured, add the rest of the hardware and you're finished. But after reading the posts here, I'm starting to think it's actually quite complicated (or is this just the overclocking discussions I'm reading?).

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

scrapser

MjM2

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
In my opinion, i dont think you should get SLI because its just so expensive. You need a mobo which can support it, and then you have to fork out more cash to get the 2 video cards.
I believe if your going to spend that much on your comp graphics, you might as well go and buy the new xbox 360 or something, becuase that's been speacilly made for gaming.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i also think that games have to have drivers or seomthing to use the SLI, im not sure of this fact, but i did read it somewhere.

Curiosity was framed. Stupidity killed the cat.
(i know it has nothing to do with comps, but i think its funny ^^")