[SOLVED] Motherboards that can control RGB fans?

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
I will buy a NZXT aer rgb fan and I was thinking on how to control the RGB of them? Does plugging it in the system fan input in motherboard works to control it?

Solution
The 4pin PWM connector only controls the fan element of course, not the RGB.

I don't know if these fans can connect directly to the motherboard for RGB control. Although they use 12V, I suspect it's a proprietary connection, but can't say for sure.

EDIT The Aer RGB2 appear to require a HUE lighting controller, as per "requirements".... so doesn't sound like they can connect to a motherboard RGB header directly/.
PC with HUE 2 RGB lighting controller and Windows® 10 operating system. Internet connection is needed to download CAM.
https://www.nzxt.com/products/aer-rgb-2

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 4pin PWM connector only controls the fan element of course, not the RGB.

I don't know if these fans can connect directly to the motherboard for RGB control. Although they use 12V, I suspect it's a proprietary connection, but can't say for sure.

EDIT The Aer RGB2 appear to require a HUE lighting controller, as per "requirements".... so doesn't sound like they can connect to a motherboard RGB header directly/.
PC with HUE 2 RGB lighting controller and Windows® 10 operating system. Internet connection is needed to download CAM.
https://www.nzxt.com/products/aer-rgb-2

Reactions: mctrader07
Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There are a lot, just a search for "12V RGB fans" (or 5v, depending on the headers on your motherboard) should put you on the right track.

Another option would be to buy a 'kit', which includes a controller. NZXT offer a package with a Hue lighting controller, Corsair have options that ship with their Lighting Node etc.

Reactions: mctrader07

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
I am looking to save a few bucks by just plugging it in the motherboard instead of buying a controller and less headache on where to put the controller.