[SOLVED] Motherboard's VGA light stays white, cannot detect GPU.

JoelSF

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
I built this PC a month ago and it's been working fine, but after removing the GPU to put some new fans in I noticed this issue more, but normally reseating the card fixed it. Today however after seating an additional fan, I can't it to be recognized at all.

I've spent the last hour reseating and re-plugging my GPU but it will not be detected. I've tried booting the PC without the GPU but I don't have another monitor, the light stayed on regardless.

I've read other posts regarding this issue and tried the top solutions there but nothing worked.

Some key parts that may be of use:
Mobo: Asus TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
PSU: Corsair RM (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Try putting the gpu in the second slot. Sometimes the 3000 series cards have an issue with the pcie lanes from the cpu in the primary slot , but the secondary slot uses pcie lanes from the chipset, not cpu,

Sometimes resetting cmos will help, as that forces the bios to authenticate the gpu. But you shouldn't have any need or require any measures such as reseating the gpu in the first place, you may need to contact Asus and/or MSI support as there's obviously an issue with either the motherboard or card.

Might also need to update the bios if there's missing/corrupted data since the ti is considerably newer than the original 3070 and necessary instructions aren't right.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try putting the gpu in the second slot. Sometimes the 3000 series cards have an issue with the pcie lanes from the cpu in the primary slot , but the secondary slot uses pcie lanes from the chipset, not cpu,

Sometimes resetting cmos will help, as that forces the bios to authenticate the gpu. But you shouldn't have any need or require any measures such as reseating the gpu in the first place, you may need to contact Asus and/or MSI support as there's obviously an issue with either the motherboard or card.

Might also need to update the bios if there's missing/corrupted data since the ti is considerably newer than the original 3070 and necessary instructions aren't right.

Solution