motherboards w/ built in snd card and video card

G

i just want to know from you if which is better a motherboard with built in sound card and video card or which is not and what can u say about this kind of motherboard? Pls give me some comments or recommendations.

G

Personally I dont go with the onboard video and sound. This is because I am a huge gamer and I feel the need to have the best video card and a great sound card. You can always disable the onboard video and get a good PCI or AGP video card, but im not sure how many motherboards that include onboard video have AGP slots. If you like great performance and keeping the upgrade option open, i would go with a motherboard that doesnt have onboard video. If you just want decent video performance and dont plan on upgrading your video in the future, go ahead and get the onboard video. Could you tell me what you are going to use this computer for?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't like onboard video at all because they never give you an open AGP slot to upgrade with later. I was working on an HP computer last weekend with onboard video and it is some kind of Intel video card. Anyway, games like Unreal Tournament won't let you use it, you have to play with the software rendering and that just really sucks.
Onboard sound is not as big a deal because you can always disable it and put in a PCI sound card later.

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree totally. For myself, I've got to have the option there to upgrade everything, and until they start putting 64 meg GeForce2 chips on as onboard video, I can't see myself considering that option.

When building computers for friends and family, however, the onboard options are great. For $200 (Canadian) you can get the mainboard, audio and video taken care of. The last machine I put together I had that with a Duron 700, 128 MB of ram, 10 GB harddrive and a 56K modem, and with the basics scavenged from her 486 SX, built her a computer that will do more than she needs and last her for years for under $600 bucks. (again, Canadian.)

So, you can save about $100, but your gaming and high end will suffer. If this is not an issue, by all means go for it.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If a board comes with onboard sound and/or onboard video, it is usually going to be of low quality; therefore, I would get separate cards.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Thank you so much chemeng for your explanations to this matter you are asking me where am I going to use this computer. Im going to use this in my home and surfing the internet.By the way the onboard video is 8mb and the snd card is 128 bit.I haven't see any onboard video with AGP slot.If you will ask me what processor Im going to use it is AMD k6/2 500MHZ.

G

Personally I think you are better off getting a quality brand motherboard and purchasing separate video + sound card. The initial saving on an all in one motherboard may be very appealing but you will pay for it in the long run due to upgrade restrictions. Remember also that on board video and sound is using up precious circuitry space on that motherboard that could have been use to enhance its performance and stability. This is why quality brand motherboards rarely include onboard sound and video.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
From your use of the computer, it seems like onboard sound/video would be enough.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Well 8Megs of onboard is ok, IF you are NOT going to be a huge gamer. I have a 32Meg Geforce and I still would like better performance. The real thing you wil have to worry about with the onbaord video is to make sure that it is not shared video, that is, the video ram is really shared from your system ram. Also, depending on the chipset used for the video, i.e Intel i740, etc. You will have possible issues with OpenGL compatibility for running games like Quake III. And you definitely will not have the option of running Glide supported games to their full potential.

GodSpeed