[SOLVED] Motherboards with built in wifi vs using a add in card?

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
HI All

Im going to be building a desktop computer. I need wifi. Am i better off buying a motherboard that already has this option or should i buy a cheaper motherboard but purchase add wifi card? Is the add in cards wifi usually more powerful than the wifi thats already built into the motherboard?

thanks

z

Solution
It really depends on what is included with the motherboard and the WiFi card you choose. At the high end you'll certainly find better WiFi cards. But if a motherboard includes 802.11ac and price is a concern. You likely won't be able to buy a similar motherboard sans WiFi and a PCIe WiFi card for the same price. Which is as good or better.

Also it doesn't matter if you buy the best WiFi card out there if you router is a piece of junk.

One piece you want to look out for is antennae with a base and wire leads. Antennae sticking out the back of the case are prone to a lot of interference. It is best if they are away from the case. In such a manner that the case is not between them and the router.
It really depends on what is included with the motherboard and the WiFi card you choose. At the high end you'll certainly find better WiFi cards. But if a motherboard includes 802.11ac and price is a concern. You likely won't be able to buy a similar motherboard sans WiFi and a PCIe WiFi card for the same price. Which is as good or better.

Also it doesn't matter if you buy the best WiFi card out there if you router is a piece of junk.

One piece you want to look out for is antennae with a base and wire leads. Antennae sticking out the back of the case are prone to a lot of interference. It is best if they are away from the case. In such a manner that the case is not between them and the router.

Solution
Aug 19, 2019
Hello there,

I was in the same situation as you when I first built my first PC and I wanted to save as much money as I could, so I went with a motherboard without wifi included and bought a usb antenna for wifi extension.

For me it works like a charm, I've never lost internet access and I have full speed.

The antenna in case you are curious
https://www.amazon.ca/BrosTrend-1200Mbps-Wireless-10-6-10-12-AC1/dp/B01BV91L7Y

Have a great day and best of luck with that!