Question Motherboards with built in wifi vs using a add in card?

Apr 2, 2019
HI All

Im going to be building a desktop computer. I need wifi. Am i better off buying a motherboard that already has this option or should i buy a cheaper motherboard but purchase add wifi card? Is the add in cards wifi usually more powerful than the wifi thats already built into the motherboard?

thanks

z

It really depends on what is included with the motherboard and the WiFi card you choose. At the high end you'll certainly find better WiFi cards. But if a motherboard includes 802.11ac and price is a concern. You likely won't be able to buy a similar motherboard sans WiFi and a PCIe WiFi card for the same price. Which is as good or better.

Also it doesn't matter if you buy the best WiFi card out there if you router is a piece of junk.

One piece you want to look out for is antennae with a base and wire leads. Antennae sticking out the back of the case are prone to a lot of interference. It is best if they are away from the case. In such a manner that the case is not between them and the router.

Aug 19, 2019
Hello there,

I was in the same situation as you when I first built my first PC and I wanted to save as much money as I could, so I went with a motherboard without wifi included and bought a usb antenna for wifi extension.

For me it works like a charm, I've never lost internet access and I have full speed.

The antenna in case you are curious
https://www.amazon.ca/BrosTrend-1200Mbps-Wireless-10-6-10-12-AC1/dp/B01BV91L7Y

Have a great day and best of luck with that!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS